Oil boiler cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b33p3r

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
NE Pa
Last week I shut my oil boiler down and drained to tie in my pex lines for the econoburn. While it was down I figured I'd do the maintenance/cleaning for the season(First time I did it myself) . To make a long story short, I put the wrong nozzle in the oil boiler. Don't ask me how it got there but I always take the empty nozzle container that the technician leaves behind, after replacing the nozzle, to the plumbing supply house and get a new one to keep on hand should I need it. Well for all the DIYers, MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE NOZZLE WITH THE SAME ONE!
My 9 yr old kid was waiting for the bus at the top of the driveway and I saw him strangely looking back at the house. I asked him what had his attention and he said, "The smoke coming out of the chimney is weird....It's yellow". At that point I got a wiff of the putrid smell and ran downstairs and shut the boiler off. I didn't know what the heck was wrong at this point and figured I screwed something up so I called my oil supplier and got a technician up to the house. After telling him everything I did, he found the wrong nozzle in the boiler. In 9 days my boiler was completely clogged and the flue pipe had 1/2" coating all around it.
Yes I'll do my oil boiler maintenance again but I'll be sure to put the right nozzle in. 75 Hollow! Just a heads up.

Thats why you should always pull a smoke test as a minimum along with a combustion analyzes any time the burner head is pulled. From an air shutter adjustment being bumped to a bungled NEW nozzle. You dont know where your at. @ $5 a gallon its worth the time and effort to know your efficiencies. I work on equipment that burns over 800 gals a day. Yes thats 33 gals an hour. 5% efficiency/heat transfer adds up. Even at your home along with safety/plugged flue and carbon monoxide. ;-)
My 2-cents.

This guy has some pretty decent videos on how to _properly_ DIY; he'll never win an acting or directing award, but the substance is good:

theboilerman.biz

Even going with the very same nozzle, things should be checked-- and two nozzles with same nominal flow rate, angle, pattern, etc., but of different makes, can behave very differently.

Have a pro do it. The hundred and fifty bucks you spend is worth it for the peace of mind. BTW we charge between 3 to 4 hours at 85/hr to clean plugged boilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.