Oil Filled Radiator Heater Opinions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
Have a two story house. Insert in family room on 1st floor. Can get most upstairs rooms about 66...which is fine for my wife and I. We usually keep my 2 year old daughters room door closed (2nd floor) or else she will wake up as we are walking by or hear us and want to get up. When we do this her room gets quite cold. My question: is it ok for me to put a oil filled radiator type space heater in her room? Anyone see any contraindication?

We do the same thing for my 4 year old's room. I have it set on the lowest setting and it works just fine. I like those oil filled radiator heaters - they seem safe enough. They do a good job of heating a small area. We still keep the door cracked some.

It keeps me from having to run the primary heater (propane). By morning - the house is not as toasty as it was when I stuffed the stove for the night. There's usually a chill to motivate me down stairs to stir and load again. So it's good to have a space heater in the kids room to maintain a consistent heat for them.

I am using two of these to practice the ultimate in zone heating (since my wood stove is not yet installed). I like them because they are quiet, efficient and safe. However, with a young 'un around I would suggest only running it on low. When on max output, these things get very hot to the touch. Good luck!

I use one in my sons room. His room is 65 degrees without it and stays about 5-8 degrees warmer with it running on medium

excelent heater. i use it on medium. i think its 750 watt in power on the medium setting. we will stop using it as soon as we get a soapstone stove in the basement. for now it knocks off the chill downstairs. pete

Have one in my kdis room seems llke the safest space heater on the market even on high dont seem like it could ignite anything.Can se it on the electri bill thouth

My wife is an invalid and in the room upstairs farthest from the stove so I keep one running in there. Cost around ten bucks a month in the shoulder seasons and twenty five a month now with the days in the mid thirties and the nights in the teens. It saves me from melting downstairs trying to keep that room warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.