Oil Force Air Furnace (Can I attach a Pellet Furnace)? which Models?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btanoue

Apr 24, 2011
CT
Hi,

I have an Enviro Meridian Insert and it heated the rooms well, but hard to move the heat.
The room with the stove has a cathedral celing :-( and celing fan.
But only that room stays nice in toasty...

Anyway, I have an Oil fired hot water heater in furnace.
I don't want to remove them, I'd like to use them for backup if possible.

Whats your experience with a furnace?
How do they run and what extra maintenance?
Which brands should I look into?

Is it worth the investment?

Thanks
btanoue

Look at your sqft, yearly btu usage under the oil heat, duct work sizes, and talk to an installer. I would look at the Harman PF100 for a furnace but it comes with a good size price tag.

Eric

Hello

There are 3 models with flanges for connecting ductwork. These stoves are PERFECT for Basement Installs!

I would Luv to try the Ecotek Laura, but do not have the money right now to make such a big change!!!
http://www.ecoteck.us/wood-pellet-stoves/laura.php

http://www.ecoteck.us/ducted-heat/

Description of “Ducted Wood Pellet Stoves†from Ecoteck in above link.

The Ecoteck wood pellet stove range also includes 3 ducted units for people who want more even heat diffusion throughout the home. Ducts conveys heat from one room to another and distributes it throughout the home, spreading the stove’s warmth over as wide an area as possible.

Models equipped with the air canalization use 2 pipes, 3.15 Inches in diameter, to service other rooms. Depending on the model, the delivery of the air for canalization can be in the top or in the bottom part.

In the Elena Airplus, the second fan for the air canalization, can be activated simply by pushing the button on the display.

In the Laura & Veronica, there is the possibility to adjust the front and back air delivery by adjusting a lever.

More info on Ecoteck Laura 11kW Ducted Stove
Ducted Heating with wood pellets
Wood pellets are one of the few truly environmentally friendly ways to heat. Ducted stoves have a two extra warm air outputs at the rear of the unit and these can be connected to aluminum ducts routed other rooms in the property. A simple mechanical flap controls the ratio of air coming into the main room compared with the air being diverted to the back. All wood pellet stoves require a 13amp electrical connection.

Attachments

• DuctedWoodPelletStoves.jpg
    DuctedWoodPelletStoves.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 723
I've got 2 friends with Harman PF100's they're happy with them. I'm happy with my Revolution.

I have been using a Harman PF100 ducted in parallel with an oil forced air furnace since March of 2008. The PF100 has provided a comfortable wood heat and the room thermostat is more even than the oil. With the price of oil climbing and not looking any better in the future it was a good investment and will probably pay for itself in about 6 years max. Natural gas would have been a better investment in my area but was not available in my neighborhood. I kept my oil furnace as a backup and that has turned out to be a wise decision on many occasions.

The pellet furnace requires more maintenance and is more temperamental than the oil furnace but the money saved on fuel makes it well worth the extra effort. Once you get familiar with it it is pretty easy to work on. Especially with the vast information at hearth.com and an easy to understand owners manual. And I don't spend $200 or more a year for my oil furnace service contract anymore. The PF100 has a pretty good warranty; you can check it out in the owners manual.

Check out the maintenance section of the owners manual at Harman's web link. http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PF100.pdf

Harman makes the hydroflex add on boiler, which can be fitted to existing hot air or boiler systems. 60k btu makes it a good supplemental unit.

exoilburner....
Another year....don't know how long I will burn this year.
Don't know if you are up on this Marcellus Shale Gas, Utica Shale Gas
and Upper Devonian Shale Gas. You can google to find info.
Fortunitely, I sit on top of all this, and it is wet gas, which almost
doubles the royalty payments once they drill.
Signed a lease a couple of weeks ago, and waiting for the bonus
payment, which I am receiving for signing the lease. $3,000 an
acre, 15% royalties, without deductions. I have half a hundred acres.
Plan on being in Florida for Jan/Feb/March. The wife's old bones are acting
up. I just want to be warm.....
Glad to know you are here again this winter.

What do these things run price wise?

I guess I should buy local otherwise I won't get support.

Any other pointers?

Is your furnace a oil fired hot air furnace with a hot water heater for tap water? Or is it a boiler? Didn't quite understand your original post.
From my experience and the experience of others on the forums it seems everyone says good, local dealer service is very important. Very big headachs if service is poor or expensive; including warranty service.

Price of the furnace kind of depends on the brand and if you want a pellet boiler (hot water) or pellet furnace (hot air)

With my PF100 pellet furnace there is much more maintenance that my oil furnace. But the maintenance is simpler to learn and I canceled the service contract for my oil furnace ($215 in 2008) The money I am saving burning pellets vs the extra work is the trade-off I was after.

Status
Not open for further replies.