oil lock in now or wait

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcp

Sep 16, 2011
lower bucks
I think with the faltering economy oil prices will come down a lot more who can really afford to pay $900 a fill and have to do this 3 or 4 times a year at this point you have demand destruction and people will be looking for alternative ways to heat.I say wait till late nov to fill up I am guessing it should be between $2.50 and $3.00 a gallon whats your thoughts.

I HAD propane. My 500 gallon tank has been empty since I started burning pellets. I bought an 80 gallon tank to heat water. I also have a back up pellet stove incase one goes down. If they both go down I gotta buy some really expensive propane and I'll probably have to do some work on the furnace to get it going because it hasnt been turned on since I started burning pellets also.

My basement got flooded oil boiler will not ignite but just had 3 tons delivered i do not know which is more expensive oil or propane definetly glad to have the stove while I try to figure out what to do about the boiler I rarely turn it on only when temps go into the teens and then I might run it for 15 or 20 mins to even out house temps.

Tough to figure what's going to happen. I have heard some use rule of thumb to lock in right around Columbus day. Between the economy, global demand and the unrest related to the arab spring who knows how it will go.

If my oil gage is accurate, I still have just under a quarter tank. Last time I got oil was Aug 2010 when I topped off my take with 196 gallons. The prior fill was April 2009, I would like to top it off again, but just got done with property tax which went up a few hundred dollars. Haven't come across a way to be conservative with taxes except with my vote. I am betting the world economy will continue to slow and oil will stay the same or go lower. Waiting may be in my favor by a few cents.

I'm betting (literally) on it going down. Oil Guru's are saying $60 on WTI soon. Plus the WTI/Brent spread is narrowing and there's alot of new finds coming on line in the next year. Buuut,, if someone sneezes in the mid east all bets are off.

save$ said:
If my oil gage is accurate, I still have just under a quarter tank. Last time I got oil was Aug 2010 when I topped off my take with 196 gallons. The prior fill was April 2009, I would like to top it off again, but just got done with property tax which went up a few hundred dollars. Haven't come across a way to be conservative with taxes except with my vote. I am betting the world economy will continue to slow and oil will stay the same or go lower. Waiting may be in my favor by a few cents.

As for the property taxes the homestead exemption for starters and if you can get your income figure down to the point that the circuit breaker program is worth it, that as well.

Interesting thread on this blog ref pellet prices in maritime canada some people had installed minisplits and were running them for $3 dollars per day as opposed to $12 per day for 2 bags of pellets and no hassle and this was in nova scotia where it is much colder than where most of us live.As I said earlier my boiler is shot from the flood any further info on the minisplit would be appreciated I am done with oil if it costs me $4500 to install a minisplit and use the pellet stove as backup I will do it.Any takers

XactLEE said:
I'm betting (literally) on it going down. Oil Guru's are saying $60 on WTI soon. Plus the WTI/Brent spread is narrowing and there's alot of new finds coming on line in the next year. Buuut,, if someone sneezes in the mid east all bets are off.

You got it. But around $80 a barrel is here to stay for a while.

Don't heat with oil. But I would just buy as needed this year if I did. Wouldn't lock into chit.

jmcp said:
I think with the faltering economy oil prices will come down a lot more who can really afford to pay $900 a fill and have to do this 3 or 4 times a year at this point you have demand destruction and people will be looking for alternative ways to heat.I say wait till late nov to fill up I am guessing it should be between $2.50 and $3.00 a gallon whats your thoughts.

My thoughts are your heating with pellets. Whats the oil for? DHW?

When oil went over $4 per gallon I had a plumber install a elec hot water heater that could be switched between either oil or elec right now I heat water with elec as boiler is shot but I can continue to heat the water with elec and maybe I can install a minisplit as my new main source of heat thus I will be done with oil I just opened a new thread on minisplits and I am hoping for some input.

Status
Not open for further replies.