Oiling/lubricating the blower on a Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, my blower on my answer insert just doesn't seem to be putting out the cfms that it used to. I removed the blower and used a Qtip and vac to clean out all the dust, etc....
The issue I am having is that it appears that the blower housing in held in place by rivets, and I can't seem to access the areas that I would like to use a few drops of 3 in 1 oil.
Anyone else out there have some tricks on the lopi Blower?

When I've serviced the pellet stove I've had the same problem. In the past I've blown out the area with canned air and dripped oil in using a q-tip.
Or, some auto parts stores sell an oil bottle with squeeze/piston action and a flexible tube to oil hard to reach places.

yeah I take the blower off of our stove at least once a year, take outside and blow it out really good with compressed air.....they make a "ink pen" oiler, you can get it at hobby shops and it does a really good job of puttin oil in tight places....couple drops of 3 in1 oil or even a squirt or two of Tri-Flow Teflon oil out of a spray can will do wonders....makes the blower put more RPMs and also quiets it down a little.....

Thanks Guys...picked up some liquid wrench with a small applicator tip, and it seemed to help quite a bit. I think I need to get a can of compressed air and get some of the debris out of there.
I'm actually thinking about removing the rivits and using some small screws so I can disassemble the housing to make the cleaning easier...just no way to get some of the dust bunnys out of there.

daveswoodhauler said:
Thanks Guys...picked up some liquid wrench with a small applicator tip, and it seemed to help quite a bit. I think I need to get a can of compressed air and get some of the debris out of there.
I'm actually thinking about removing the rivits and using some small screws so I can disassemble the housing to make the cleaning easier...just no way to get some of the dust bunnys out of there.

I would use a good oil as liquid wrench is more for getting rusted parts lose. I like using Break-Free, it is the stuff that is used on Guns. It holds up real well with the heat and if can keep a Gun slide moving it sure will keep a fan turning. It comes in both spray and a bottle with a small applicator tip. I transfer it into a pin oilier and works great.

I still dont know if its good or not to oil the fans in such a dusty location. I sure am getting the itch to try though.

I cleaned my fan to like new condition. When I tested it, the 3 yr old unit made a loud noise. A couple drops of oil quieted it right down.
I understand the point that a fan is a dust collector, but in this case, what alternative was there? Would a shot of compressed air really have made a difference?

N6CRV said:
daveswoodhauler said:

I would use a good oil as liquid wrench is more for getting rusted parts lose. I like using Break-Free, it is the stuff that is used on Guns. It holds up real well with the heat and if can keep a Gun slide moving it sure will keep a fan turning. It comes in both spray and a bottle with a small applicator tip. I transfer it into a pin oilier and works great.
the best lube you can use on those bearings is a light teflon based oil.......and the idea of removing the rivets and replacing them with screws is a good one ......it is a good idea to take that motor off of the stove, get rid of the dust, and lubricate it at least once a year. After the dust accumulates on the fan in that blower it does not move air as efficiently.......write it on your calendar once a year and you will never have problem with that blower!

daveswoodhauler said:

LR is a penetrant not a lubricating oil. I used it once and it seized up shortly thereafter on my old 27000. 3 in 1 works great.

Loco Gringo said:
daveswoodhauler said:

LR is a penetrant not a lubricating oil. I used it once and it seized up shortly thereafter on my old 27000. 3 in 1 works great.

Good tip. I swear the label said it was for lubricating as well, but I will pick up some 3 in 1 to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.