OK GUYS, WHATS THIS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truck243

Feb 20, 2011
louisville ky
WHAT IS THIS KNARLY BARKED WOOD?

Attachments

• knarlybark2.jpg
    knarlybark2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 949
  • knarlybark1.jpg
    knarlybark1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,068
+1... got dozens of 'em around here.

On my laptop but looks like Black locust. Hard to say though.

We don't have Locust in these parts but we have Bam, a form of Poplar with knobby bark like that. It's usually sopping wet with core rot and light as Balsa wood when dry.

I agree it looks like Black Locust. A new split should look greenish-yellow if it is locust.

Kinda punky? Looks like cottonwood. Fuzzey seeds that fly around in summer.
First post.I love this site. Did not want to post until I could be helpful.

for sure locust

jamie1340 said:
+1

jamie1340 said:
...Did not want to post until I could be helpful.

Oh, jamie, don't ever let that stop you...people put up posts here all the time that don't really help anybody with anything. ;-P Welcome! Rick

Yellowish wood with grain like a power pole, very coarse bark that makes good kindling. Locust hands down.

inevitabLEE said:
jamie1340 said:
+1

Populous deltoides... cottonwood.

Matt

fossil said:
jamie1340 said:

Oh, jamie, don't ever let that stop you...people put up posts here all the time that don't really help anybody with anything. ;-P Welcome! Rick

+1.

Look at our post counts. Most of it can be attributed to saying, "Burn dry wood."

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
fossil said:
jamie1340 said:

+1.

Look at our post counts. Most of it can be attributed to saying, "Burn dry wood."

Matt

Either that, or +1. :lol:

Not Birch or spruce
Must be locust.
If it's dry,k try to drive a nail in it, if you can't; locust. ;)

That's locust, and it's a damned good friend :)

bogydave said:
...try to drive a nail in it, if you can't; locust. ;)
Try to drive your fingernail into it, if you can; Popple.

LLigetfa said:
bogydave said:
...try to drive a nail in it, if you can't; locust. ;)
Try to drive your fingernail into it, if you can; Popple.

Split that thing and show us pictures. Our identification of either locust or poplar doesn't help narrow the range of density much - we've decided it is either the hardest wood or the softest.

fossil said:
EatenByLimestone said:
fossil said:
jamie1340 said:

+1.

Matt

Either that, or +1. :lol:

+1 <-- couldn't resist

I agree, split that thing. That's sure looks like cottonwood that we have in these parts. If I'm wrong , I better get to the property I'm clearing. There's 3 huge trees with bark like that!

Could be American Chestnut, butternut or walnut

This is American Chestnut..

9.jpg

This is his pic.. looks like a dead ringer.

index.php

lol I love the way we ID things here on hearth. Basically the only thing we've all agreed on is that it's a type of wood.

woodmiser said:
looks like a dead ringer.

index.php
Really? I'm not seeing any similarity but then we have neither Chestnut nor Cottonwood here. We do have lots of Bam tree (Balm of Gilead tree (Populus × jackii, also known as P. × gileadensis)) here that looks just like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.