OK, I see it, and I am jealous-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I have a "crap load" of odds and ends to burn. Before I install the new BKK this summer, I'm trying to narrow down the excess. Sooo... I have this storage area under an exterior deck, that currently houses a bunch of (less than 3" diam.) pieces of wood. BTW- this is my new home,( 11 months in, and STILL finding new things.) But, low and behold, I found a big stack of oak flooring, already cut to length. So I decide to burn it. And I am......and I really like it. This stuff really is nice to control, vs. my pine that'll rocket off without even looking at it. While I'll not pay for it, I do miss the diversity in my burning diet. Or at least I will in the future. :-S

In case my rambling was confusing, I have to admit that those hardwood chunks of flooring were superior to an equivelant amount of softwood pine. Must of been a fluke, I'll try again tomorrow.

I bet it would split into kindling pretty easy too.
Good find

wsorg said:
Oak has high BTU so no reason why it wouldn't burn.

I assume that this is unfinished oak flooring - no stains. no sealant. I wouldn't want to burn treated wood inside the house.

oak flooring as firewood? Do you roll cigarettes in $20 bills as well?

Yeah I know, I kinda shuddered at first too. But the previous owners had cut it up to burn apparantly, and it wasn't in very good shape. No stain or finish on it. I burned alot of it last night. Best thing to me, was the flue temp. never went above 900, yet the stove was over 600. My pine gets rather unruly if not watched for the first hour or so.

Beetle-Kill said:
Yeah I know, I kinda shuddered at first too. But the previous owners had cut it up to burn apparantly, and it wasn't in very good shape. No stain or finish on it. I burned alot of it last night. Best thing to me, was the flue temp. never went above 900, yet the stove was over 600. My pine gets rather unruly if not watched for the first hour or so.
well, now what will you burn? lol. can't imagine it's easy to get oak up there!!!!

Looks like I'm stuck with the pine, aspen, and an occasional cottonwood. That's OK though, as I never want to hear the furnace kick on again.

Beetle, you should do fine with what is available there. It won't be as good as oak but you will adjust and make do with it. Not hearing that furnace will be a big plus for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.