Ok to use a ZC fireplace without its grate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Jan 13, 2012
Virginia
I have a new FPX36 ZC fireplace and it came with a traditional grate. Wondering if it's ok to use the fireplace without the grate altogether. It kinda gets in the way and makes it difficult to more fully load the firebox (i.e. it gobbles up cubic feet). Is it really necessary? Is it ok to make the fire without it? Once things get going I don't see that it adds much utility. Seems like a lot of stove users dont even have grates, so I'm wondering if it's really necessary.

I have the FPX36 as well. I ditched the grate pretty quickly also to gain volume with no ill effects. This is my 1st year burning so I may have some problems with the bottom fire bricks later but so far so good.

I have installed and services several of the FPX's. Most of the units wore out the grate pretty quick and were never replaced for the same reasons that you mentioned. I haven't see any ill effects. Besides it all firebrick, no different than a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.