Ok..which do you perfer,face cord or just cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which way?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
Face cord just seems easier to me..lol.
I have seen 1/16th cord,1.62 cord and some other ones tonight...drives me nuts..lol.

A regular cord as far as I know is 4x4x8. Not sure what a face cord its.

A face cord is 4x8x16"..or 1/3 of a cord...hence,face cord.

HotCoals said:
What if you don't cut your wood to 16"?

EatenByLimestone said:
LLigetfa said:
HotCoals said:

Bingo!

+1, although I'm not a fan of 1.875 cord calculations either! Cheers!

LLigetfa said:
HotCoals said:

I cut mine to 18" and still call it a face cord.

Actually, I call it a cord, but it's what most people would call a face cord or 1/3 cord. Folks around here call it a cord so that's what I've become used to.

I've got a big, deep stove so I cut 18-20 inches. I don't even think in terms of face cords. Don't see many people with 2-3 years of wood on hand saying "I've got 27 face cords put away" but I do see that they have 6 cords or 9 cords or in a couple cases "27 cords" :cheese:

Cord. How else do you count all the short ends and (oops) slightly longer piece. I cut mine to about 18" +/-. When it is stacked in a cord it all averages out.

This is the first year I am measuring and stacked my wood on 4' pallets this year and cut everything 14-16" long so I measure in cords, but I keep a face cord stored in my garage, which last about a week and fits perfectly along a wall near the door, but with all that I prefer to know I have about a years worth no matter how I measure it.

HotCoals said:
1.62 cord and some other ones tonight...drives me nuts..lol.

Drives me just as nuts when someone tells me they have 21 cords in the basement ready to go for the winter. I converted from face cordism however and am the only one I know that burns true cords.

I'd have to say face cord, as that's what stove-wood sellers sell, around here. Also, if I happen to get longer than 16 inch wood, then three face cords would be a little more than a 128CF cord. Of course, cut shorter, would be less as well. However, either way stacked in my yard, I should still have the same usable amount, cord or face cord.

Around here nobody sells wood by the cord. It's always face cord. I cut my wood about 18 inches so if I underestimate what I truly have I guess that's a good thing. Currently, my inventory (tks to sav and zap) c/s/s is north of 50 face cords with a bunch still waiting for the splitter. In the end, it does 2 things. Keeps my family warm and that truck with the round tank doesn't stop at my house! :)

colin.p said:
I'd have to say face cord, as that's what stove-wood sellers sell, around here. Also, if I happen to get longer than 16 inch wood, then three face cords would be a little more than a 128CF cord. Of course, cut shorter, would be less as well. However, either way stacked in my yard, I should still have the same usable amount, cord or face cord.

If the wood was cut longer than 16", seems like you benefit by getting more than a true cord, but if shorter than 16", you lose. Cheers!

Around here face cords are common. That's the face of a cord. 4x8 feet. First question from a responder to my ad is" how long do you cut". I cut my for sale wood from 100" logs delivered, hard maple, so I cut just over 16" and keep the cookies. Then we discuss how they want it split.

Attachments

• 308247_277092548967525_100000003469202_1159033_343536956_n.jpg
    308247_277092548967525_100000003469202_1159033_343536956_n.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 507
I called a CL ad about some 'seasoned' firewood. Guy said it was 325 pieces for $50. (He COUNTED them????) Ummmm..... I asked him that might be a deal but are the pieces 6" diameter or 25" diameter. He said they were all between 16-18". I asked "You mean diameter?" He said, "No, tall." Still trying to figure out what he was offering for $50 I then asked "So, if they were stacked up, how long/deep/tall would the pile be? He replied, "I don't know. The bunch will fit in the back of a pickup truck." Still trying to figure out the quantity he was offering I asked "Then is the box of the truck full up to the top of the sides." He replied "No, there'd be about 18" of the sides showing." Considering p/u truck bed is, what, 24" deep I passed. Sounds like he had twigs. :)

I voted for cord, 4x4x8.

But in my area firewood is also sold as face cords (1/3 of a cord).

Everyone uses face cord around here but I've learned on here what the true definition of a cord is. Even so, talking to anyone about wood in these parts, or trying to buy wood here, is always discussed in terms of face cords.

Some wood mongers sell by the face cord because less sounds like more. The law forbids selling in units called "face cords" and since my wood monger cuts his 8 feet long, his face cords are 256 cu ft. Why then would he risk getting fined for selling by the face cord if a face cord is more than a legal cord?

In the old days, much of the wood was cut to 8 foot length as that was about as long of a log that could be manhandled and that length carried well. Even today, around here 90% of the wood transported to the mills are cut to 8 foot length. The other 10% comes in tree length which then gets cut to 8 foot at the mill. Most of the machinery at the mill is designed to accept 8 foot length.

The legal cord here is measured as 4' x 4' x 8 foot long, so a "face" of that would be 4' x 4'. Tree length "face cords" would give you the most bang for the buck.

LLigetfa said:
Some wood mongers sell by the face cord because less sounds like more. The law forbids selling in units called "face cords" and since my wood monger cuts his 8 feet long, his face cords are 256 cu ft. Why then would he risk getting fined for selling by the face cord if a face cord is more than a legal cord?
This ^^

Many state laws forbid selling anything other than a cord, or a deviation of a cord. (1/3 cord, 2/3 cord)
I'll tell ya, I posted up a CL ad saying I'm looking to buy 2 cords of wood for $250-350 depending on type, as long as it's 16% or less MC
The emails rolled right in with people saying they've got what I'm looking for. How many ya think are going to bring by their 1/2 ton with a load of wood saying it's 2 cords? :p

How would you feel if the gas station sold you a "face gallon"? How bout a "Face pound" of pork chops? It makes no sense. Firewood is cut to all different lengths by different people. Stick to a cord, at least then everyone is talking the same language.

What po's me is ads that interchange cord and face cord. I see ads for "cords" for $60, cut and split. I paid $87/cord for 9 full cords of 8' hard maple in Sept. I'm tempted to order a few $60 "cords" and send them away when they show up with 1/3 cord face cords.

HotCoals said:
Face cord just seems easier to me..lol.
I have seen 1/16th cord,1.62 cord and some other ones tonight...drives me nuts..lol.

I had never heard of a face cord or a rick or anything else but a cord before I joined up here. . .

michburner said:
How would you feel if the gas station sold you a "face gallon"? How bout a "Face pound" of pork chops? It makes no sense. Firewood is cut to all different lengths by different people. Stick to a cord, at least then everyone is talking the same language.
Therefor the term cord is irrelevant . I've NEVER cut a cord of wood all 16",,, ever.

I think the bottom line is: as long as the seller and buyer agree what the measurement is, face cord for so much money, or a cord for so much money, then they both are happy. As I said, no one and I mean no one in Eastern Ontario, who sells cut and split wood, sells by the cord, only face cord. One can argue till blue in the face, but there is no point in asking for a cord of wood, when all call face cords, cords.
Now if I was to purchase a logging truck load, then it would be cords, not face cords. And that's the way it is, right or wrong. Confusing to be sure, but again, as long as both parties are on the same "dictionary" page, then all is well.

edit: I just thought of an analogy, metric and imperial measurements. We in Canada, in our "infinite wisdom", use the metric system, however, anyone over the age of 30, still tries to convert to gallons, Fahrenheit, miles, pounds etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.