Okanagan Pellets - flimsy bags?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minstrel4t

Oct 26, 2010
NW CT
Based on all the great press in this forum, I ordered 7 tons of Okanagans (5 x 1.4 ton skids). I have to move them from my garage down to the basement and I'm ripping more bags than with any other pellets (I've used Barefoot and Turmans the past 3 years). Some bags are already ripped when I unwrap the skids - others rip on contact when I pick them up? Anybody else run into this or am I the only one? (Haven't burned any yet - I'm hoping that the BTUs offset the extra care needed during handling).

trim your fingernails/claws downa bit :lol: Is just joke. Are tey busting at the seams or is the plastic so thin that it tears very easily? I've seen the weak seem on all different types of pellets, usually has to do with the machines not being in correct alignment.

That's it! The Freddy Kreuger realistic knife-blade fingered gloves are doing it!
Anyway, I slide them down the hatchway - on a piece of an old hot tub cover - to the basement. When I go to pick them up off the floor, I grab a handfull of loose corner (like I do all the pellet bags) and some of these just rip thru rather than lift up - seem somewhat thinner than others. Either they are thinner or my older age is keeping me from bending down lower to pick 'em up...

i never ripped one bag yet . they are weaker than some but i never had a problem .strongest bags i used were with new england pellets to bad the pellets were not that good.

j-takeman said:
minstrel4t said:
j-takeman said:
White bag with the pine tree?

those are the ones!

They now have new bags that are much thicker. I'll try to find a picture for you!

Would it be safe to assume that those are older pellets (leftovers), since they haven't used those bags for awhile?

EarlyMan

minstrel4t said:
Based on all the great press in this forum, I ordered 7 tons of Okanagans (5 x 1.4 ton skids). I have to move them from my garage down to the basement and I'm ripping more bags than with any other pellets (I've used Barefoot and Turmans the past 3 years). Some bags are already ripped when I unwrap the skids - others rip on contact when I pick them up? Anybody else run into this or am I the only one? (Haven't burned any yet - I'm hoping that the BTUs offset the extra care needed during handling).

Hopefully, they burn fine for you.

Jay, have any idea when the changeover to the newer, thicker bags was? That would help determine when the pellets were bagged.

minstrel4t, can you divulge where you bought them?

i got my oakies in the spring all 3tons and they were the clear bags. those white bags may have been sitting for a while. just my 2 cents

I thought that the bags were clear?

Never saw them in a white bag around here!

The white bags just plain stunk last year! I didn't buy Okanagan this year because of the bag experiance last year, I must have ruined 1/2 ton just in handling.

Clear bag/white front with pine tree=09/10
All white bag=10/11
This year clear bag with red and black
I have not had a problem with the bags
Course with the price I paid for them I handle them real gentle
Jim

New bags

Attachments

• Okie Bag JULY.jpg
    Okie Bag JULY.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 575
I got mine in the older bags this year, so maybe the OK company (or my dealer) is working through inventory. I haven't had any problems with OK bags last year either but maybe they were just handled less than the ones you are having problems with.

Even the new bags this year have had some issues, especially at the seam area. I picked up three skids of Oakies this year, 2 new bags, 1 old bag. I lost count of how many of the new bags had split at the seem before they were even off the pallet. I had to keep a roll of duct tape on the skid to tape them as I found them. I think whoever (or whatever) controls the seaming process was having a bad day. I got some of these same bags in the spring time and had 0 problems with them.

I keep packing tape around with a handled dispenser.
Since I began burning pellets, I now hang it near my pellet stash.

Delta-T said:
trim your fingernails/claws downa bit

Or maybe he's just abnormally strong :p

Use Gloves....The gloves with the fabric on the top surface of the hand with the palms coated in rubber. They help in grabbing and handling the bags and prevents your fingers from spiking into the bags.

If you think the Okies bags are bad, don't go near the Spruce Pointes. Talk about flimsy. They are one step up from the grocery store plastic bags. I poked holes into almost every single bag I moved. And yes, all fingers have been declawed. Just really crappy bags! Hopefully the BTU output will offset the crappy bags.

I didn't have any problem with the strength of the Oakie bag itself, just the seam. I think someone screwed up the seaming machine... some of the bags were practically melted all the way through. Picked up 20 or 30 of the style same bags back in April and had no problems at all with holes while throwing them in the back of the Suburban or unloading into the garage. This year the bag feels the same, just that damn seam....

Status
Not open for further replies.