Okanagan Wood Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcamb

Nov 22, 2008
Westford MA
It seems that there is a decent consensus on the site that Okanagan Wood Pellets are a good pellet. What are people out there paying for them this year? In the past I've burned Energex and seemed to get a lot of "clinkers" in the burn pot. My only concern with going with this brand is that here in MA there are not a lot of dealers that carry this brand. What would a comparable brand be to this one and would it be worth the savings to try something else? I burned 4-5 tons last season and will need to order probably 5 tons again this year as we are down to maybe 10 bags from last season... the only dealer in my area is in uxbridge and is 285 a ton plus a reasonable delivery fee...

thanks
Jeff

If it mattes i have a stand alone Drolet pellet stove.... :)

I've burned Okanagan's and Vermont Wood Pellets in the cold heating season for 3 years now (not shoulder season). I like them both.

I get mine at J&S Trucking in Berkley, Ma

Current price can be found here as well as other retailers.
http://www.woodpelletprice.com/inde...resetfilters=0&WP_pellets___pell_in_state=MA&

The Vermont Wood Pellets are a good alternative. I think they are about the same in my stove and I usually can get the Vermont's a bit cheaper.

Either one is a great pellet and you won't be sorry.

---Nailer---

I've had great results with them, no stink issues. low ash and high heat. 5 tons stacked in the basement ready to go for the upcoming season. paid 234/ton + delivery.

requin said:
My own personal experience with Okies is they were not worth the extra cost, at least not with my 3 year old Harman Accentra2 stove. And the pellets themselves really stink! Stink as in the real meaning of the word, a stinky smell comes from them; I prefer my pellets to smell like wood but maybe it's the glue. Anyway that's a minor point.

I seem to remember you saying this in a previous post. I have 3 ton in my garge and the place smells like sawdust - quite pleasant to smell and not at all stinky. Perhaps a cat got to yours and wizzed on them! :)

ship_reck said:
I've had great results with them, no stink issues. low ash and high heat. 5 tons stacked in the basement ready to go for the upcoming season. paid 234/ton + delivery.

might I ask who you got them for at that price and how long ago?

also thanks for the price search link, seems to be a little off as Rogers Feed in uxbridge is now 285 a ton... I"ll call around to some of the places there though...

I havent had any smell issues with these either, just a cost per bag issue. ;) they do seem to burn great with low ash...

squire lumber in monson, ma.
http://www.squierlumber.com/pages/stock_status.cfm

i also love the vermont wood pellets, but the okies were $50/ton less, so it was a no-brainer.

jpcamb said:
ship_reck said:

also thanks for the price search link, seems to be a little off as Rogers Feed in uxbridge is now 285 a ton... I"ll call around to some of the places there though...

I havent had any smell issues with these either, just a cost per bag issue. ;) they do seem to burn great with low ash...

thanks Gave them a call and they are checking if they can deliver this far out.... thats a no-brainer if they do....

ship_reck said:
squire lumber in monson, ma.
http://www.squierlumber.com/pages/stock_status.cfm

i also love the vermont wood pellets, but the okies were $50/ton less, so it was a no-brainer.

jpcamb said:
ship_reck said:

EarlyMan said:
requin said:
My own personal experience with Okies is they were not worth the extra cost, at least not with my 3 year old Harman Accentra2 stove. And the pellets themselves really stink! Stink as in the real meaning of the word, a stinky smell comes from them; I prefer my pellets to smell like wood but maybe it's the glue. Anyway that's a minor point.

I seem to remember you saying this in a previous post. I have 3 ton in my garge and the place smells like sawdust - quite pleasant to smell and not at all stinky. Perhaps a cat got to yours and wizzed on them! :)
Something about stretching and anal leaking or something too funny my friend .

i paid 240.00 a ton plus delivery that was a early buy deal . now he is selling them for 270.00 a ton

jpcamb said:
It seems that there is a decent consensus on the site that Okanagan Wood Pellets are a good pellet. What are people out there paying for them this year? In the past I've burned Energex and seemed to get a lot of "clinkers" in the burn pot. My only concern with going with this brand is that here in MA there are not a lot of dealers that carry this brand. What would a comparable brand be to this one and would it be worth the savings to try something else? I burned 4-5 tons last season and will need to order probably 5 tons again this year as we are down to maybe 10 bags from last season... the only dealer in my area is in uxbridge and is 285 a ton plus a reasonable delivery fee...

thanks
Jeff

If it mattes i have a stand alone Drolet pellet stove.... :)

Rogers Farm Supply in Millbury has them cheaper.

Okanagan's go by a couple of different names out here in the great NW. I buy Westwood pellets that are exactly the same. Right now you can get them in the $180/ton range....and delivered if you buy two or more tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.