Okanagans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe

Oct 18, 2011
Gardner ma
HELLO New to the form, just want to know if Anny one is burning Okanagans? if so what do you think
Thanks Gabe

Welcome to the forum!

Okies are good but around here they
are one of the higher priced pellets.
I supplement my stock with about a ton
of them and only need to burn them
in the really cold weather otherwise
I get cooked out of here. Ymmv.

I'm in RI on the CT border and looking for something better than box store. Sitting on 3.5 tons of Barefoots and Somersets but want to add another ton or two. Recommendations based on brand, price and availability?

Gabe this will be my second year burning the OKIES. They are a super pellet, burning clean and lots of heat. I would buy more if I could get a decent price.
The only negative thing I have heard about the OKIES is that on rare occasions a batch will have a fowl smell. Fortunately I have never encountered that issue.

smalltown said:
Gabe this will be my second year burning the OKIES. They are a super pellet, burning clean and lots of heat. I would buy more if I could get a decent price.
The only negative thing I have heard about the OKIES is that on rare occasions a batch will have a fowl smell. Fortunately I have never encountered that issue.

The odor can be described as cat piss, had them last year with that odor,
this years seam to be OK, they do put out nice heat!!

BX just curious. I imagine you were unable to smell the odor until the bags were open?

BXpellet said:
smalltown said:

The odor can be described as cat piss, had them last year with that odor,
this years seam to be OK, they do put out nice heat!!

That urine smell can be caused by amonia and formaldehyde. I had that smell from the binder used in some un-faced fiberglass insulation I purchased on sale at Home Depot. R30 - 15 inch wide rolls for $9.95. Well worth it since it dissipated quickly after unwrapping and deploying it!!

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 667
smalltown said:
BX just curious. I imagine you were unable to smell the odor until the bags were open?

yes when you opened the bag and poured them into the stove

I am starting to like the oakies,Burned about 6 bags so far, love the BTU!! I am cleaning my stove tomorrow will see how it goes.

I burned oakies last year and overall I wasn't super impressed. They created a lot of ash in my Harman XXV and I needed to clean the glass daily. Lots of folks swear by oakies so perhaps the batch I got wasn't stored/transported properly. I tried various feed rates but it didn't help. Overall, the heat was very good. In my opinion, they weren't worth the $285/ton that the dealer charges. I was happier with Stove Chow at $188/ton from Home Depot. These burned better in my stove, less ash, and decent heat.

Gabe, I live in southwestern NH where did you get your Okanagans from??? I always wanted to try some.

My experience with em is they are a very good pellet.
Burn nice and hot with low ash.

Spuria & Son, is where I got them give them a call 1 978 827 5069.
had a lot in stock last week hoop this helps

Northeaster2010 said:
Gabe, I live in southwestern NH where did you get your Okanagans from??? I always wanted to try some.

If you are in SW NH, then try Hamshaw Lumber in Keene. They will also deliver for a reasonable fee.

Hamshaw Lumber charges 375.70 for 65 bags(pallet)...ouch. I may as well buy #2 heating oil at that price. I purchased 2 tons of green supreme at 151.00 for each ton 3 weeks ago at Lowes. Looks like I'll have to buy Green team platinum for the one last ton i'll need. Would've liked to try Okanagan's though.

April is the time to buy from Hamshaw, when they have a sale on there pellets. I bought 3 tons of Okies for $240/ton. I think delivery was $35. I would think that it is going to be hard to find a good deal on any premium or super premium pellets right now.

i also paid 240.00 a ton... but i also got them in april

Bad time to be looking for PREMIUM pellets without breaking the bank, this time of year! Need to always be a HUNTER OF PELLETS and have room for an extra ton or two if the opportunity knocks. My last four tons were 2.5 of Somersets, $207 - Feb 2011 and 1.5 tons of Fireside Premium $207 - Oct-Nov 2011.

With the collapse of Europe and the Euro, it will be interesting to see what happens to pellets in the US, this winter and spring, especially if the the price of oil decouples with the USD. Be good little squirrels and gather your nuts.

have 3.9 tons of okans coming friday $324 for 1.3 tons with the thermostat set on 68 should last the p-43 the season ? i hope ?

lock&load; said:
have 3.9 tons of okans coming friday $324 for 1.3 tons with the thermostat set on 68 should last the p-43 the season ? i hope ?
where did you buy them from ..not a bad price for this time of year.

lock&load; said:
That's $249 a ton - not bad! Did you have to negotiate at CJ's to get that price? I have been tracking all the CT pellet supplier prices for the last 2 - 3 months and never saw them that low. CJ's had them for $268 back in Sept when I bought my Okies (not from them) and they are $290/ton now.

Status
Not open for further replies.