Okay to block air intake with fire place insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdavison3

Apr 29, 2007
Morrisonville, NY
Hi,
Four years ago we installed a Hampton HI300 fireplace insert in our masonary brick fireplace. The insert was installed with a full flue liner. The fireplace was built with an exterior air intake grate on the face of the exterior chimney. I think I'm loosing heat though this air intake and questioning whether it's necessary with my fireplace insert.
Is it okay to block off the cold air intake from outside? And if so, what is the best thing to use?
thanks!

It's fine to block this exterior intake. The insert will find it's air from inside your house. The air intake on the HI300 is on the bottom of the stove so in theory, its pulling the cooler air near the floor into the stove. As long as your house is not 100% sealed, you'll be fine.

As far as plugging up the exterior intake, I'll leave that to others to chime in. I would use Roxul insulation because it will not absorb moisture and it's fine to fill in this void. Something more permanate may be an option, but I'm not sure you want to do that.

Thanks, Stejus

That's another issue I'm working on resolving.

When I get a fire going, we get cold drafts from the cool air being sucked towards the fireplace insert. I believe the drafts
are coming from an interior entrance to the basement off the back of the living room adjacent to the fireplace. A heating contractor recommended replacing fiberglass batt insulation in the rim joists with 2"-3" inches
of spray foam insulation to reduce the " stack" effect.
Our home was built 20 years ago and we have taken steps to improve insulation but it's a long ways from being air tight.

I noticed in the Hampton HI 300 manual that they recommended ensuring proper ventalation with an air duct or an open window when the insert is operating- I assume this is to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning and this recommendaton was made
in order to cover their tails...

Again, I appreciate your input.

-xcitableboi-

-xcitableboi-

I hear you loud and clear with trying to stop heat lose. I would say another quick fix for the draft coming from the basement door is to install an insulated sweep on the bottom of that basement door. There are also plastic strips you can install in the door jamb that stops cold air from passing through.

My house is 20 years old as well. It's not air tight by any means, but it's enough. I find cold spots and address them as I find them. Like you said, the basement sill area is always a good place to look, especially near pipes.

So far today, you have found two sources of cold air and ways to address them with a quick fix. You're off to a good start!

Thanks, Stejus
I thought about the door sweep thing, except we installed a pet door on the door to the basement to allow the cats access to their litter box. I might have to get a new basement door and get rid or the cats- Although if I ever suggested that to my wife I would probably be the one to go!
I appreciate your thoughts.
Regards,
xcitableboi

Status
Not open for further replies.