Old chain saw gas mix ratio?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I have a 1976 14" - 2.1PS Craftsman. Bought in Oregon in 1976. Mdl # 358.352150. (looked it up on sears parts, still support most of the parts)
Thumb Push button oil pump.
It had the " Power-Sharp" feature on it. Don't laugh, I was gullible back then, & knew nothing about chain saws.
Anyway I have some junk cutting to do & dug it out, cleaned it up, found the fuel line rotted & replaced it.
The auto sharp didn't catch on , & no longer make the chains or sharpening stone that was mounted to the saw.
So I'll obviously need a new 14" chain. (if/when I get it running again)

I still even have the manual & was able to find it. True! (the saw was harder to find than the manual.)

The book calls for SAE No. 30 Oil to be mixed 16:1.

With my old Husky 61 (1982) Manual quotes: for a mix : SAE 30 at 25:1 or 4% ,/ "so called pre-mixed oil we recommend 20:1 or 5%"/ or
Special Husqvarna 2 cycle oil "shall" be mixed at 50:1 or 2%.
Wonder which oil mix the saw runs best at? The "Special Husqvarna" oil at 50:1 of course. Amazing.

Anyway
Does anyone know what the new 2 cycle oil mix ratio should be for old saw prior to specific formulated 2 cycle oils.?

By what the Husky old to new oil mix is I'm guessing 30:1 would be a good mix.

Attachments

• Srs Chn Saw.jpg
    Srs Chn Saw.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 922
good oil you should be able to run them all at 50-1

Thanks
I'll try it with the same mix I run in the husky. 50:1

Dave -

In my Homelite 770, I do go a little heaver than 50:1 (2.6 oz/gal) I run it at 40:1 (3.2 oz/gal) just because it's such an old saw and is used only once or twice a year. Right on the cap it says "Use one pint 30w to each gal of gas"

I use "Sentinel" brand full synthetic (get a discount through work) it keeps all their 2-cycles running; 10 saws, 20+ weedwacks, a dozen or so back-pack blowers, mowers (older Lawn Boys), etc.

I would like it to smoke a little, and know that I'm getting some kind of lubrication, than no smoke and seize the old gal up ;-)

Thanks
Maybe I should fill the tank with the 50:1 & add a few drops of cycle to it to stay on the safe side.
Pretty small tank on it. I won't run it allot.
Plus I'll have to remember to thumb pump the bar oil pump while running it. PIA, But better to cut into the ground, ice & water with
an old beater than with my good saw.

Trying to salvage some down trees in a frozen swamp out back of my property. Land was cleared by falling the trees & left lay.
Good birch & spruce now but only for another year or so. 4 or 5 cord I'd guess.
Plan to cut into 6' -8' logs & drag them out with snow machine or 4 wheeler to where I can buck them into rounds.
Real uneven ground, tussock & thawed water holes.
Just hate to see the wood lay there & rot. I'll get what I can with out over working or getting hurt doing it.
Work on it this winter & get what I can find under the snow, slow & easy. Keep me out of trouble & still be a little productive.
Cabin fever months starting, gotta stay busy.
Work at a retired pace, do what I can , when I can, with what I got. & have fun doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.