Old Country Flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plowboy

Mar 9, 2008
Indiana
Just bought an old "Country Flame" wood burner someone had in the corner of their barn. The blower works and it has two doors on the front that swing out. Has some surface rust on it but that will be no problem getting off then I will give it a good paint job.
I heated my house with an old "Earth Stove" for 22 years and loved it. Then I went and made the mistake of buying one of those new EPA stoves with fire brick on top , bottom and sides of the fire box. Kept it for one year and got rid of it. I did not like those stoves so I'm going back to the old stoves that put out the heat.
Does anyone here know anything about the older Country Flame Stoves, nothing fancy, it has two round air intakes on the doors and it is very heavy.

Thanks,

Bill

When I first saw this thread I thought someone was pining for an old girlfriend. :) It sounds like you bought a stove too small for the place. Match up a properly sized new EPA stove with an old smoke dragon and you can be sure it will heat as well. But for that same heat output, it will burn a lot less wood a whole lot more cleanly.

Regardless, seems like you've been burning wood for a long time and know the riff. Stick with well seasoned wood, char it thoroughly before throttling it down. Don't choke off the air supply to the point of smoldering. If there's no visible smoke coming out of the chimney, you're burning right.

Status
Not open for further replies.