Old Fallen Oak - Still Usable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
I'd been walking past a tree that must have been fallen for five years in our woods.
Last night I finally got up the gander (or should I say, my chainsaw) to cut it up & see
what its condition was. To my surprise, it was in really good shape & appears to be red oak!!
Got a healthy face cord out of it. What a find!!

Has anyone else out there also experienced the apparent rot resistance of this wood??

No not really...but I have no problem burning punky wood anyway. It's good for shoulder season and campfires. CNY is the cloud graveyard so when wood hits the ground it's got a shelf life like bread.

savageactor7 said:
No not really...but I have no problem burning punky wood anyway. It's good for shoulder season and campfires. CNY is the cloud graveyard so when wood hits the ground it's got a shelf life like bread.

Actually, the weird thing is that the wood wasn't punky at all - in really good shape!!
Not bad for being on the ground for perhaps 5 yrs.

I have seen the same with old fallen oak. What looks iffy on the outside can be real solid when you cut it up.

I've seen Oak on the ground that was in surprisingly good shape. Occasionally, there was a little punk wood on the bottom. I prefer to trim this off with a hatchet after splitting. It dries a lot faster that way.

Cluttermagnet said:
I've seen Oak on the ground that was in surprisingly good shape. Occasionally, there was a little punk wood on the bottom. I prefer to trim this off with a hatchet after splitting. It dries a lot faster that way.

Curious.......because it's been "dead" for such a long time, does it dry faster than freshly-cut oak??

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Jags said:
Yes it does, but it will more than likely still need additional seasoning.

Great!! Hopefully it can be ready for the upcoming winter.

Very possible.

I doubt it will be below 30%mc this season. I scored the nicest oak logs from a customer of mine that were down for years laying on rocks 6" off the ground. This wood looked petrified. It still had a 25-30% moisture. It looks so nice cut and split I don't want to burn it! This is in north central NJ.

I cut and split an Oak that about a month ago that had fallen in a storm nearly 5 years ago. The splits looked and smelled like a green tree. There was a small amount of rot just under the bark. I hope to burn it next winter.

I agree with the posts above. After splitting, the Oak needs at least some seasoning time. Some will still need a year or more. But OTOH I have been very successful burning Oak deadwood which did not have ground contact. I'm talking about stuff that has been dead 4+ years. I did season a few months, but was able to burn it the same year, with good, hot fires and no hissing wood. I also put many of my splits on a grille on top of my running stove for a final half hour or so of drying, then toss them in the firebox. Even that makes a difference. I do have a moisture meter and I use if pretty often. I'm finding my hands are quickly becoming 'educated' so I'm able to make some pretty good guesses about the state of dryness of a split. The moisture meter usually confirms my guesses.

The reason I take the trouble to trim off the punky wood is that it soaks up rain like a darned sponge. I get much better, faster drying after I trim it. I consider it well worth the extra effort.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Cluttermagnet said:

Curious.......because it's been "dead" for such a long time, does it dry faster than freshly-cut oak??
I'd say definitely yes, but horizontal deadwood having no ground contact is way better in this regard.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
savageactor7 said:

Actually, the weird thing is that the wood wasn't punky at all - in really good shape!!
Not bad for being on the ground for perhaps 5 yrs.

Oh I absolutely positively believed you Rob...the English created an empire with oak ships. Oak is like the #1 wood burners preference. We just never had the opportunity to cut any up.

Status
Not open for further replies.