Old stove missing parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sir james

Nov 28, 2011
Western MA.
Recently moved into a new house with an old Coalbrookdale Darby in the basement,did a little research and found that the internals were definitely not original,no shaker grates and pieces of cut angle iron substituted in their place in order to hold logs for a fire.
Did more research and found this is not a cheap fix if the parts are even available.
I guess my main concern is whether this is something to be concerned about or am I fretting over nothing.
Don`t really plan on using this as my primary source of heat so it wouldn`t be seeing constant use.

Thanks for any info or opinions.

What a beautiful old stove!!!!! If you don't intend to burn coal in it, the n you should be able to run it as is. All that shaker grate stuff is for coal only, and many who burn wood in coal stoves find it helpful to cover the grate with some bind of plate to get better results from the wood, like longer burn times, etc.

So go for it!

The Darby stove is named after one of England's most historic industrial families. The Darby's ran Coalbrookdale from its inception in 1709 through the 1920's, providing the inspiration for many breakthroughs.

Most parts are still available for the Wenlocks, Severen, and Darby.

Here's Darby part number and 2009 list price. They have increased and current prices available online. These are list, not dealer cost;
Baffle D316 60.00
Baffle Plate frame D317 166.67
Firebar -carrier D320 46.67
-front D357 179.50
-upper (9 req.) D353 19.10 ea.
-lower (10 req) D358 19.10 ea.
Flue Collar C1119 140.10
Grate -wood (2 req) D401 88.33
Liner right D308 190.00
left D309 153.33
Rocker Bar (D319) C111 60.00

Pictures of each part with current price here; just choose the stove from drop down.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html

www.woodmanspartsplus.com

Attachments

• Coalbrookdale Darby.jpg
    Coalbrookdale Darby.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,080
  • 749783.jpg
    749783.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 886
Not weird at all. I have a 1950 Ford tractor and 1921 Ford Model T that are both driven and still used. I find original parts for them, no aftermarket. Same as the steam engines and antique equipment I keep running. No hex head bolts, all industrial size hardware (heavy nuts) and square nuts where they belong. Many people cheat on grates, making them out of steel, but cast originals last longer and are thicker where they need to be to prevent sagging. Something you really can't make without pouring with iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.