Older Jamestown J1000 rehab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KNKN

Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
Hello I recently purchased a used Jamestown J1000 about a 1996 model I believe.
The past owner complained that it was smothering the fire out after a period of time with too many pellets.

I have been doing a lot of reading here and think I have concluded that the problem may be its just dirty and needs the door gasket changed out. Also he had said something about his basement flooding and one of the bags of pellets he gave me with the stove was dripping some water out of it. So it also looks like he may of tried to burn some wet pellets through it but I am not sure.

I have found the secret hidden ash chambers and cleaned them out. They were packed with ash. Next job is changing out the door gasket. It seemed to be pretty old and flattened out.

My biggest question is does anyone know what this round metal plate is?

I found it laying under the ash pan when I pulled it out. I am not sure if its something that goes to the stove or just a piece of junk that got in there somehow?
There are two square openings under the ash pan it was laying partially over one of them...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/longbowdude/2011-10-11_08-54-42_609.jpg

I am only guessing...Could it be a knock out for the exhaust vent? Or a damper?

Not sure about exhaust vent. Could be. I will check the size and fit when I get home.

The intake damper is a lot smaller and is in place. I shined a flashlight through and seen it.

Those openings are supposed to be opened.. I think that was a homemade damper of some sort... That would also help explain the pellets smoldering... Not enough air and the pellets wont efficiently burn.

Thats my opinion. I dont see why that would just be lying over holes designed for combustion air.

The stove needs to be COMPLETELY dismantled, all motors and auger system removed, and taken outdoors and blown out with compressed air in every crack & crevice you can find, and then have a leaf blower treatment done to it.

Your stove is typical of many used stoves that the owners finally sell because they "don't burn right", when the problem is the owners lack of cleaning.

And yes, replacing the door gasket is probably a good thing to do, seeing that the stove is so old.

Keep us updated on your progress....we always like seeing an older stove resurrected to working condition.

The round plates, should be 2 of them, should have 2 positioning pins on them. Those pins keep them in place over the square holes under the ash pan. Those square holes are not suppose to be open. Just to be sure on your cleaning, you have taken out 4 plates from the sides (2 on each side), the round plates under the ash pan? You should get a magnahelic draft reading of .38, anything less and the stove won't burn right.
Check here on page 30 and 31, http://www.jamestownpelletstoves.ca/upload/documents/Owners-Manual-Revision94.pdf the bottom arrows indicate where the plates are positioned.

Thanks for that info Balls! It does indeed have two small rivets on each side of the plate. I had no idea the square openings under the ash pan were supposed to be closed. Looks like I will have to talk to jamestown about getting another plate. Or I might see if I can make one out of something my self. Yes I found all four of the hidden areas on the sides. I used a piece of garden hose hooked to a shopvac hose reducer to get down in side and vacuum them out real good. They were completely packed tight with ash!

I also notice theres not gasket on the fire pot, fits in the recess part, my Jamestown had one and you'll find it will increase air flow too.

Northeaster thanks for noticing that. I read a post on this site about a fire pot gasket and wondered about it also.

When I was reading through the manual that was with the stove I found a revision line that says they replaced the firepot with one that is machined and no longer needs a gasket. Hopefully I have the correct manual for my stove. I wonder if I should put a gasket on there anyway?

Well heres an update and a new problem.

I have re done the door and glass gaskets and the exhaust blower gasket also. I used a square piece of metal sheet I removed off an old dryer to cover up the square hole under the ash pan.

I have installed the stove and it runs great! I have to be careful with the damper or it blows the pellets out of the firepot!

My concern now is I am smelling a slight smell coming out around the heat exchange tubes. It seemed to lessen a bit as I ran the stove or maybe I just got used to the smell... I dont know.

I am guessing I probably have a leak somewhere in the stove and will be tearing it apart again to see what I can find.

2011-10-23_14-44-17_721.jpg

I did notice that there seems to be a large gap around the heat exchange tube cleaner rod where I can actually see the fire inside the stove. I wonder if this is where I get the smell?

2011-10-15_15-43-07_470.jpg

I only replaced the bottom gasket on the blower. On top there is another gasket like substance that looks like house insulation sticking out of it. Should change this out too?
2011-10-23_15-53-44_287.jpg

I would make damn sure its not the appliance adapter or the venting leaking before tearing the whole thing apart.

If the combustion fan is running it isn't likely you are getting a wood smoke smell from that small gap around the tube rake pull.

I'd go looking at the stove adapter for starters, if that has a leak in it it will likely get drawn in by the convection blower and come out via the heat exchanger tubes.

I will for sure re-check all the venting. I did put my head back behind the stove and could not smell a thing.

My stoves seem to have a slight smell on start up. Cumberland has a similiar gap on its tube cleaner handle. I dont think it would be coming from that since there is negative pressure on that area with the exhaust fan blowing. If the leak continues well after start up I would think the exhaust pipe isnt sealed up good somewhere from the stove out. What kind of sealant did you use. The wrong stuff will get you in trouble, I found that out the hard way with. Might be a good idea to tape each joint with high temp foil tape.

KNKN said:
I will for sure re-check all the venting. I did put my head back behind the stove and could not smell a thing.

The air the convection fan uses comes from behind the stove. It will suck most of the sell out from behind there. Smoke smell while stove is running generally comes from the pressure side unless you loose power then the smell can come from up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.