Older Wards Franklin Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKSean

Jul 21, 2012
My grandfather purchased this stove used in the late 1970s and it heated his little home for10 years. Its been in storage and I am thinking of restoring it to use in my Alaska cabin. It would not be the primary heat source. It has all its parts (the doors et all are removed in the photo), just some new mica. However, in reviewing other posts, I am concerned that those of you in the know might suggest that I should destroy the thing and get something newer. I don't want to make a mistake. It has a Montgomery Wards emblem on the back. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 342
Welcome Sean. The stove appears to be in decent shape. If there are no cracks and everything works well it might be fine for occasional use in a cabin. How well it will work depends on the cabin size, time of year and the number of days you will be heating. The stove will need generous clearances to combustibles and a proper flue/chimney + hearth to be safe. Is there a UL tag on back specifying clearances?

Welcome Sean. The stove appears to be in decent shape. If there are no cracks and everything works well it might be fine for occasional use in a cabin. How well it will work depends on the cabin size, time of year and the number of days you will be heating. The stove will need generous clearances to combustibles and a proper flue/chimney + hearth to be safe. Is there a UL tag on back specifying clearances?

Thanks, no cracks or significant corrosion and unfortunatley no UL tag. I'll play it safe. I'll consult with a local installer on the flue chimney. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.