OMG, check out this home built wood stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
High efficient? ya right

I didn't watch the whole video, but it just looks like a big rocket stove. Rocket stoves are generally highly efficient! I'm not saying that it's safe or that I'd put it in my house- but I do like the technology.

Wonder what an insurance company would have to say about that.

He's got a second video posted with more info about his wood stove. He shows how he starts a fire--he uses old motor oil. I suspect his home isn't insured, but he probably doesn't care since he mentioned he built his house himself. He probably kept his building costs as low as he could. He shows the stove glowing white hot. I'd be worried about fires, myself.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it's a shop? It may be high efficient but it's not pretty. :)

When watching that video, I keep bracing myself for when he will mention how useful it is for burning all the corpses he has stored in his freezer. Yup, 4 shots of motor oil is enough for one grown adult.

You guys owe it to yourselvs to look up rocket stoves for cooking and heating. There are projects in Africa to make "6 brick" and other design rocket stoves for cooking that save huge amounts of fuel and change people's lives (less deforestation, less walking to wood sources, less attacks/rapes/murders because of less foot travel required).

Barrel-based rocket stove heaters have been around a long time. It might not be appropriate for my house and lifestyle- but a lot of people use them and do well with them. This guy is no freak for having one- in fact there are seminars etc. showing people how to build them. Check Youtube and google.

He's blasting outside air into a 55 gallon drum from a 3 inch pipe. He then pipes the smoke into the attached upright 55 gal drum that has some sort of internal baffles to slow the exhaust. Then it pipes up and across what looks like at least 12 feet of horizontal flue pipe.
I can't imagine how quickly he must consume wood. He starts his fires with used motor oil. He "guesses it has about 95% efficiency".

All seems quite contrary to the idea of small environmentally efficient rocket stoves.

I haven't watched the second video yet, I will do that right now. I agree that seems dangerous, but I think everyone here is being way to hard on that guy. That thing must crank a ridiculous amount of heat, and the huge firbox is awsome! AP seems to be the only one here that agrees with me. I do think that outside section of pipe must get huge amounts of creasote pretty quickly.

Wow, this is wild! He seems really knowledgeable, if a little into living on the edge :) Nice stereo, man!

fire no problem he lives in a metal&concrete;building, I wouldn't want to be sitting on either couch when that thing is cranking.

best of all "4 shots of used oil" is his guarantee with every new stove sold

I am planning out a simple plate burner that would combust used oil efficiently for my kiln. used oil burners are pretty efficient. I would imagine that the smoke at startup for his system is not much worse than what many woodburners experience. I read with interest the methods used by people here that include using waxes, kerosene, heating oil, etc- so not many can really condemn IMO.

it is actually probbaly getting a decent amount oif efficiency with the rocket stove design.. but it is most deifnetly NOT safe

safety(common sense), and efficiency are not the same thing :)

An ole harley biker friend of mine...he's retired now....but for years he has heated his house with an efficient wood furnace he made from an old 275 gallon oil barrel. He has used it for years...he modified the strength of the oil barrel of course. He has it in his basement though with a large floor grate above it that releases heat into the house. Also has a windmill. He lives pretty simple. Built his house years ago into the side of a hill. Bought 100 acres at the highest point in Kennebunkport Maine during Reagans first year in office after Carters debacle for a thousand dollars an acre. That land will makes his retirement very comfortable. Even though he lives very plain and basic. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.