OMG- wife thinks she wants a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
She's been bugging me to cut up a bunch of limbed aspen logs in the back, but I have to finish the darned hearth first. That aspen isn't going anywhere I've told her, just be patient. Next up- I want my own saw. So to placate her, I told her I'd check on a smaller saw for her to use. She isn't letting up....she really wants one! So any recommendations? She's 5'2", about 135ish, and pretty strong for her size. Im thinking 7900, or 372XP. Your thoughts?

I'm all ears, you guys. I want one, too.

I am sick and tired of asking the husband to take down this piddly, overgrown weed or that one, only to receive the 2nd. degree about "why". Just cut the friggin' thing down, willya? I have no interest in going after the big boys, I just want to be able to address the shrubby, overgrown "understory".

By-pass the middleman, I say!

(let's talk about reasonable safety equipment, too, OK?)

Double ears..I want one, too.

I can't handle the big saws any more, with the carpal. Something small, that I can use on limbs would be great !!!

I had a 4'h x 10' roundish pile of maple, oak, locust limbs that were any where from 3-5" round sitting for 2 years because it was more important to cut the bigger stuff. Last week it finally got cut (it'll burn nicely this year ;-) ). I could have it done & stacked with in 1 week if I could work a smallish saw.

I have an MS250 and an MS361--the 361 is the go-to for bucking, but I still really like the 250 for limbing and small stuff. Light, but powerful enough.

S

If you're looking for moderately priced homeowner saws for some occassional cutting, the Stihl 211 and the Husqvarna 435 are popular light weight saws in the 35cc range. I think the 211 is available with the easy start system. Both would run very well with a 16" bar. There's also a cheapy Ryobi that earns good marks in that category.....I think it is made by Redmax.

My wife had a stihl 210 (the predecessor of the 211) and she liked it a lot for buzzing up limbs while I worked the bigger stuff. She lost interest so I upgraded to a Stihl 260 (50cc). It is a very nice saw but spendy and probably not the best choice in that class.

Thanks Hittin. Bobbin and Eileen, what do you think? Val (my wife), was reading over my shoulder. She had to correct me, that it's not the aspen out back so much, but the remaining pine up front. 14" would be the max. bar size needed, but for my(her) intended use, a 35cc MAY be a bit underpowered. I know my Dad's 35cc Poulan couldn't cut it- so to speak. What else have people used and been happy with? Thanks, John & Val

Beetle-Kill said:
Thanks Hittin. Bobbin and Eileen, what do you think? Val (my wife), was reading over my shoulder. She had to correct me, that it's not the aspen out back so much, but the remaining pine up front. 14" would be the max. bar size needed, but for my(her) intended use, a 35cc MAY be a bit underpowered. I know my Dad's 35cc Poulan couldn't cut it- so to speak. What else have people used and been happy with? Thanks, John & Val

John tell Val once she gets her chainsaw to stop in, we have alot of small stuff down she can go on. :lol:

zap

Zap, be careful what you wish for. I really have a sneaking suspicion that she's got her eye on a bunch of dead-fall up the hill also. I just checked the specs. for the 211 and T435. HP is lower on the 435, but weight is a full 2lbs. less. X-torq means a broader powerband to me, and price isn't bad. Anyone have one?

Beetle-Kill said:
Zap, be careful what you wish for. I really have a sneaking suspicion that she's got her eye on a bunch of dead-fall up the hill also. I just checked the specs. for the 211 and T435. HP is lower on the 435, but weight is a full 2lbs. less. X-torq means a broader powerband to me, and price isn't bad. Anyone have one?

When Val starts splitting like Quads you're in trouble.

zap

If that day ever comes, I'll be a happy boy! :) BTW, did I read correctly you're up to 56 face cord CSS, with another 40 something waiting in the wings? Holy crap!

Beetle-Kill said:
If that day ever comes, I'll be a happy boy! :) BTW, did I read correctly you're up to 56 face cord CSS, with another 40 something waiting in the wings? Holy crap!

The 56 is right but the forty is way off, I'll have over 60 face cord by winter. I still want to cut more hardwood during the winter plus I have more quaking aspen to split and buck up.

zap

zapny said:
The 56 is right but the forty is way off, I'll have over 60 face cord by winter.
zap

Nature abhors disequilibrium. You have no idea of the planetary issues you may be causing. Please send 1/3 of that over here and restore the natural balance of things. :)

precaud said:
zapny said:
The 56 is right but the forty is way off, I'll have over 60 face cord by winter.
zap

Nature abhors disequilibrium. You have no idea of the planetary issues you may be causing. Please send 1/3 of that over here and restore the natural balance of things. :)

New York State has a 50 mile law about delivering wood so by my figures your 49.5 miles, we can do it.

zap

Kind of in the FWIW category; my wife was interested in a saw that would be manageable for her to do some of the smaller limbing/bucking jobs when we go cutting. I let her test out the Stihl MS250 and the 200T. She could manage both reasonably well, but we both felt that she did not have the strength to really deal with potential kickback effectively. The 200T is a light, top handle saw, so not a great choice for someone not completely comfortable with no handle in back, although it is a little monster for power to weight. The MS250 would probably be fine, but not worth the chance that she could not control it in a bind.

I am very pleased that she is interested, and does a lot of the stacking/carrying work while I cut and split. That seems to be our routine process now.

Beetle-Kill said:

Make it easy then Beetle, head down to your Husky dealer and buy a 346XP, 16" bar and full chisel chain. There will never be any second guessing or power issues.

346XP? Nah, show her the video of the little girl starting the Dolmar PS420 and she'll be sold. It's a great little saw, too.

Hi - Good for you both!

Hitten has it! The husky 346XP would be a great saw. Personally I would go Dolmar 5100 because it's light with good power, and I'm a contrary type ; )

In my opinion the extra power andresulting speed of the 50 CC saws is well worth the weight. Beyond that they get heavy. I judging by my 3 daughters in the 100-125# range.

ATB,
Mike

Guys, we're talking about a 5'2" female here.... I bet she will feel the 50cc saws are too heavy. Heck, I'm 6'5" in good shape and I think my 5100 is too heavy for most work.

My wife is 5'8" and athletic. The 371 is way too much for her. The Jonsered 2152, similar to the 346, has worked out perfect for her. Easy to start, good power, easy to handle, etc. More than enough saw for firewood and has no problem with a 20" bar should she so desire.

I got a jonsered 2145 just to limb pines and cedars and found I use it way more than I thought I would. Its got good power light and nimble to move around with. I will say its a good saw for a female. But it would be best for her to try out a few saws in the size she is looking for as a saw that is comfortable to run is going to be safer than one that isn't. Also the newer 2145's have a primer bulb as well as a choke making it easier to start. When the saw is cold I pull the choke hit the bulb three times and it usually starts on the first pull.

Billy

The MS 021/210 is a great little saw running a 14" (or 16") bar. A little bigger would be the MS250 (another small, lightweight, capable machine). Or if you are really looking at performance and light the MS260. But really, don't overlook the 021/210, I was just using one this past weekend. Real nice for a grab and go that will do the job (reasonably).

You may be tempted to go to your local farm store and grab a $90 saw, but don't. The time that YOU grab the little saw for some trimming it will tick you off.

i hear you on that, Jags. My dad's Poulan would flat out piss me off. She consideres my 346XP just a little too heavy, so I need to go as light as reasonable. I think we'll go saw shopping this weekend.

My wife runs her 180 cbe, she is right in the height range your lookin at, but 1.5 times the weight. that being said, I personally hate that little saw. sounds like a gnat and cuts slower than slow. and chain availability sucks. second thought, dont get one.

+3 on the Dolmar 420. Easy start. Not too big, not too small. Does everything I need.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.