on paper this seems like a good idea....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
and in my mind it seems like a good idea, but.......i'm thinking i like the idea of having some type of safety for keeping flue temps on my boiler from going over, say 450 degrees. i would also love something that would shut the fan off when the fuel starts getting burned off, overnight i often come down to semi - warm boiler with the fan blowing away. it would be nice to have some coals in the am to do a quick start. i have never really been in a situation where the flue was too hot, but at the same time i would like to prevent that from happening. i'm thinking something like a snap disk on the stove pipe.

like i said, its just something i am thinking about, most likely because i have way to much time on my hands lately.

450F stack temp seems high to me.
Stack temp should be between 250F and 350F
What type of wood boiler you have?

PassionForFire&Water; said:

new yorker conventional wood boiler. that was kind of an important piece of info i left out.

i guess to clarify, i am referring to what my magnetic stack thermometer is saying, not the actual temp inside the pipe.

futureboiler said:
PassionForFire&Water; said:

new yorker conventional wood boiler. that was kind of an important piece of info i left out.

i guess to clarify, i am referring to what my magnetic stack thermometer is saying, not the actual temp inside the pipe.

Magnetic stack surface thermometers can be very inaccurate and temp depends a lot on exactly where the thermometer is mounted. I suggest getting a probe thermometer inserted 1/2 the way into the stack about 12-18" above the point where the flue exits the boiler. If your magnetic surface thermometer is accurate, then a rough estimate of interior flue temp is up to 2X the surface reading, which IMO at 450F surface is too high for interior. Do you have a draft regulator to bring the temp down? I would look to the source for the high temperature before going further. Most gasification wood boilers would operate with an interior stack temp of a low of 300F and into the mid to high 400'sF, depending on the stage of the burn, the last time the hx tubes were cleaned, dryness of the wood, and other factors. For my Tarm, I regard an operating range of 350-450F interior stack temp to be the sweet spot of operation through a burn cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.