"?" ON SALES TAX ON PELLTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THELINMAN3000

Jan 1, 2012
smokey mtns
Seems that some box stores charge sales tax on pellets. Tractor supply charged me sales tax, however Lowe's did not. I ask Tractor supply clerk and he said his computer automaticly did this and he could not change that. My local pellet stove store did not charge me tax on a ton of pallets either.
Is there a rule or is it up to the store? If its a rule what is the reason, and how does Tractor supply get away with this.

The Tractor Supplys in MD do not charge sales tax , which is hard to believe, because this State will grab Ya by the feet and shake the money out of Your pockets !!!!

In Pennsylvania, no sales tax.
BUT that is not saying that some places will not try and tax you.
Example: Lowes does not, Home Depot does.
I bought some pellets last year, and Home Depot tried to tax me......At that time, after ome forceful
wording on my part, I was told he would not charge me (Such a big favor) I then showed him my VA card for the 10% discount,
and he tried to tell me that he could not give me TWO discounts......I had to remind him of tying to rip me off with the sales tax.
Situations like this is when you make up your mind where you are going to buy in the future....
Lowes, YES Home Depot..NO

In Michigan its 4% tax on pellets. I've heard that some stores will charge the normal 6% sales tax. If that happens, you can deduct the 2% overage on your state income tax. I have yet to be charged 6% at any store i've purchased from.

No tax in Maine........or on groceries.

It varies by county i believe

KINGOFTHENORTH said:
No tax in Maine........or on groceries.

I had to sign an notice at Wal-Mart in Sanford stating I was using the pellets for heating fuel and no other purpose.

Here in NY I was charged 3%, the same as they get you for on home heating oil (the % varies from county to county however).

I had purchased a ton of Premier Pellets from a supermarket (great pellets by the way) and was charged the tax. However, being greedy, I picked up about 8 more bags one day a few weeks later and noticed that I was not charged tax this time. When I asked the manager about this he checked and told me he was advised there is no tax if the pellets are used for heating but there is tax if they are used for any other purpose. He refunded the tax I had been charged on the initial ton.

This makes no sense to me as heating oil is only used for heat and it is taxed. But I am not complaining.

I don't even burn pellets, but I gotta ask... what possible uses are there for hardwood pellets except heating? Cat litter? Salad croutons?

In Massachusetts no home heating feuls are taxed.

I'm not 100% sure,But I think St.Croix makes a grill that uses woodpellets for heat.Other than that are ya gonna burn them in your outdoor fireplace. LOL

bluedogz said:
I don't even burn pellets, but I gotta ask... what possible uses are there for hardwood pellets except heating? Cat litter? Salad croutons?

Traeger makes pellet grills, but they are supposed to burn certified
"cooking" pellets. Of course the grill doesn't care what you put in there...
Stables around here use them in the horse & alpaca stalls...

bluedogz said:

Just add milk, after a while it looks like shredded wheat! it goes by county, and city. some areas charge some don't when I asked that what I was told.

In CT they are not supposed to tax them as they are a "green fuel and clean burning alternative energy source" per the ct.gov website. I imagine that if you were charged in a store you could deduct it but I haven't been charged tax yet so I'm not sure. I would check your particular state websites and see. With the "green" craze I would imagine all the northeast states would be pushing incentives on this type of thing. Just my 2 cents.

There is no tax on pellets in NJ. But I had to tell one store that there was no tax on pellets when I was buying a few spare bags.
If the computer pulls up tax.. the terminal person has no idea.

I buy mine 2 tons from out of state... no tax.

bluedogz said:

Animal bedding and litter, you do have to pay attention to what pellets you use around animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.