On the way to work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
On the way to my client's house, I noticed probably a 30 ft. Ash laying by the bend in the road. After speaking with the homeowner, he said that I could have it. After two trips in my wife's Highlander, here's 2/3 of the score. Pictured are 18 rounds approximately 12-14" in diameter by 16". Ash of course.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 407
Nice score. I scored quite of bit of Ash myself this summer scrounging but I've never burned it before (I just got into this whole addiction back in Dec) so I'm excited to try some out this winter.

Jutt, this will be my first winter. I still have a lot of work to do before my new stove is functional.

Stax said:
Jutt, this will be my first winter. I still have a lot of work to do before my new stove is functional.

Cool deal, looks like your off to a good start with your scrounging and your stacks I saw in another post.

Very nice! I just picked up some Ash from a CL score yesterday. Was a standing dead that finally fell over and the homeowner had it cut in to rounds (16-18" it seems) and then put it up on CL. I picked up about 1/4-1/3 cord of rounds that are about 18+" in diameter. I haven't split them yet.. Seems ash is showing up everywhere lately.

Stax, that was not even dead ash. Can't find much of that around here any more. Not sure but I may be able to finish cutting the last of our dead ash this coming winter. Got a bunch of dead elm to work on too because I've ignored it while cutting all the ash trees.

Dennis, I'm worried that it might be poplar. I was again in the same neighborhood and a homeowner had several poplar trees taken down in her backyard. The bark looks exactly like the score above, except the heartwood appears green. I bucked some poplar last night from her yard and stacked in on top of my score. Can you look at a pic of ash and distinguish it from poplar?

To be sure split it and compare. Once split you can tell easy if they have same grain or not. From the outside it can be real tough! I had large rounds of both trees that I knew were Ash and Poplar.....depending how you looked at them they looked the same! Until split of course....

Stax said:
Dennis, I'm worried that it might be poplar. I was again in the same neighborhood and a homeowner had several poplar trees taken down in her backyard. The bark looks exactly like the score above, except the heartwood appears green. I bucked some poplar last night from her yard and stacked in on top of my score. Can you look at a pic of ash and distinguish it from poplar?

I can certainly agree that pictures are difficult sometimes but that surely looks like ash to me! That is all white ash in this picture.

DennisCook4-4-09c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.