One Big Boy lays down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbunzx

Feb 25, 2010
Forreston IL
This is a big cottonwood I found around 21 years ago, (still standing) and had showed my son some 8 years ago. We had been out shed hunting and I didn't see it and my son had said dad look it down. Could not believe it, but it was nice to find it with my son. When ever we would go close to it we would stop and talk about how big it was, sad to see it down.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 588
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 596
That thing is gigantic... Great picture of the boy and the rootball !!!

Shawn

I'm surprised it got that big before it blew down. Around here they will get fairly big, but the center rots out and then with the winds we get, boom... on the ground... or house... or truck... or...

For sure cottonwoods can grow to huge sizes and that for sure is one of them. I know some folks out west who would really love to have something like that too.

"Better grab the big saw" Things that make you say hummmmmm........

smokinjay said:
"Better grab the big saw" Things that make you say hummmmmm........

To be honest Jay, unless that thing had to be removed, I would allow it to return to earth. By the time a giant cottonwood has fallen of its own accord, it is usually heavily decayed and simply not worth the effort to butcher up such a monster. (not to mention that it is seriously lacking in the BTU category).

Nice tree, If I had those kind of memories about it I would let it lay like Jags said. What kind of hound do you have there?

Huuuuuuuuuuge tree and cool story but..... did you find any sheds? Good looking dog also.....is he/she a shed hunter?

Looks like the hound dog Josey Wales spit on.

We call them "Eagle nest trees"
They get huge here too. Eagles like them for nests.
Not so good for fire wood though.

Have you seen any big like that and still standing? I found one about that size on base in the wood lot they had last year. Most of it was rotten out just like the pic, so I'm not sure if they drug it out after it had been on the ground for a while or if they cut it.

bogydave said:
We call them "Eagle nest trees"
They get huge here too. Eagles like them for nests.
Not so good for fire wood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.