One cord rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Here's my "new" rack. I can't remember the dimensions exactly, but those were 20ft boards, so I think it must be 5ft tall ish. My splits are 16" deep. I remember that at the time, I figured it would be exactly 128cuft of wood with those 16" splits....I built it last fall and it sat empty all winter long because I've been too busy/lazy/hurt to do any wood splitting until yesterday. I got 2 solid hours to drag the rack to the side of my new barn (coming along slowly, want to wait until dry season to finish up the paint and trim).

so, in 2 hours, this is what i did in terms of stacking and splitting. not bad, not lightning fast, either. I was just sort of taking my time. So much for renting a splitter. I didn't know on saturday that I'd get the itch on sunday. Verdict is that I'm out of shape.....

Attachments

• IMAG0015 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0015 (Small).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 455
oh, and because i know I'll be asked. it's oak(s)/black walnut/chinese elm/maple(s). Most of it is too wet to be ready for next year, but I split it as small as i could because this is what I have, so I'll have to make it work. I'm trying to mix it all up, because the elm 1/2 the walnut, and half the oak seem to be pretty close, but then the center of some of those bigger rounds are pretty wet.

Is that a metal roof on the shed?

smokinjay said:
heck yeah. I love it, but here's a piece of advice. I've done many a galvanized metal roof before. you know the stuff I'm talking about. heavy wavy stuff. grandpa always said to nail up on the "hill" instead of in the "valley" cause if the rubber bushing ever failed (and it would eventually) that it wouldn't matter. Thinking i'm smart and crap I figured i'd be a master installer and this barn will last forever, so i should do the same. WRONG. I was using screws. and you have to predrill this stuff, but when you barely get any tension down on those ridges, the flat part between the ridges bows upward. you can minimize this effect, but being gentle, but it's still an issue, regardless.

Anyway, if you ever look at other people's installations, you'll see they screw on the flat part right next to the ridge. My instructions don't say a thing about that, and I figured that most everyone else did it because it was fast and easy. I regret my decision to some degree. i'm still confident that a failed bushing won't cause a problem, but up close i notice the bows and it drives me crazy. I guess I can live with that as long as it keeps the inside dry and lasts as long as those roofs should.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
heck yeah. I love it, but here's a piece of advice. I've done many a galvanized metal roof before. you know the stuff I'm talking about. heavy wavy stuff. grandpa always said to nail up on the "hill" instead of in the "valley" cause if the rubber bushing ever failed (and it would eventually) that it wouldn't matter. Thinking i'm smart and crap I figured i'd be a master installer and this barn will last forever, so i should do the same. WRONG. I was using screws. and you have to predrill this stuff, but when you barely get any tension down on those ridges, the flat part between the ridges bows upward. you can minimize this effect, but being gentle, but it's still an issue, regardless.

Anyway, if you ever look at other people's installations, you'll see they screw on the flat part right next to the ridge. My instructions don't say a thing about that, and I figured that most everyone else did it because it was fast and easy. I regret my decision to some degree. i'm still confident that a failed bushing won't cause a problem, but up close i notice the bows and it drives me crazy. I guess I can live with that as long as it keeps the inside dry and lasts as long as those roofs should.

looks Awesome, not bad on the wood stack either...

Danno, it looks like you are getting set up pretty nice. The only thing I don't understand is why you made the rack longer than the barn?

Backwoods Savage said:
Danno, it looks like you are getting set up pretty nice. The only thing I don't understand is why you made the rack longer than the barn?
that may be where it lives now, but that isn't to be it's final resting place. it's on the east side of the barn, so it's not gonna get the wind that I'd like in order to season. Before there was a barn here, this is where I processed my wood. old habits die hard, so that's probably what i'll continue to do. When this rack is full I'll take the wood to the other side of the house where it will be stacked on less attractive pallets.

Half of the point is to have something that isn't ugly in my front yard, and something that lets me really have a better feel for how much wood I have.

How long did it take you to lay all that nice green sod down? :bug: Rack looks great, i need a shed like that also.

Danno looks great but the only thing I would be concerned about is the rain or snow coming off the metal roof onto the wood.

zap

zapny said:
Danno looks great but the only thing I would be concerned about is the rain or snow coming off the metal roof onto the wood.

zap
it's hard to tell, but there's some good distance between the rack and barn. right now I still don't have the last little piece of roof on there, so it drops almost straight to the ground. Once I get that little ledge on there it will probably shoot the water out a little further, but like I said, i don't think this will be a permanent location for the wood. I'm one of those people who like to needlessly handle their firewood as many times as possible.

Danno77 said:
zapny said:

zap
it's hard to tell, but there's some good distance between the rack and barn. right now I still don't have the last little piece of roof on there, so it drops almost straight to the ground. Once I get that little ledge on there it will probably shoot the water out a little further, but like I said, i don't think this will be a permanent location for the wood. I'm one of those people who like to needlessly handle their firewood as many times as possible.

No oil delivery since jan 09, it makes handling it that much easier.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.