One explanation of a house fire caused by a pellet stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Still baffled at how a pellet stove can cause a fire that would burn down a house, I finally found one plausible reason.

This happened last year.
http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2010/12/holton_township_rental_home_sl.html

Does this explanation make sense?
"It isn’t clear how the stove caught fire, but Stevens said the stove was either too close to the home or the piping on the stove “came apart.†"

HOLTON TOWNSHIP — A rental home in Holton Township suffered minor damage Wednesday night when the home’s pellet stove caught fire, a fire official said.

The 7 p.m. incident occurred at 8209 Holton after the pellet stove caught fire causing about $3,000 damage to the exterior of the home, according to Holton Township Fire Chief Art Stevens.

Stevens said the siding of the house suffered some damage and the interior of the home had slight damage from “light smoke†that filtered into the structure.

It isn’t clear how the stove caught fire, but Stevens said the stove was either too close to the home or the piping on the stove “came apart.â€

All four occupants in the home safely evacuated the house, but were able to return to the home once the fire was out, Stevens said.

No one was injured.

The house was insured, Stevens said.

E-mail: [email protected]