One father-in-law + extra time = ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I cut, split, and stack all my wood out on my in-laws' land and then haul it to my place in the fall. The other day my father-in-law tells me that he left a couple pieces of wood by my stacks for me. I ran up there on Saturday and was greeted with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/ikessky/0611110825.jpg

Should be around 5-6 cords. In all fairness, my FIL has a harvester and forwarder, so cutting this amount took him no time at all. Now comes the real question. How do I get him to split and stack it next time???

Man, christmas came early for you. What all (species) do you have in there? Looks like the splitting should go pretty smooth the way it looks in the pic. though.

Mostly hard maple and white ash. But, while I was cutting it on Saturday, I also found black ash, soft maple, white birch, yellow birch, and ironwood. A lot of the bark has been pealed off from the rollers on the harvesting head, so this stuff should get some great seasoning before it comes to my place for the winter of 2012-2013.

ikessky said:
Now comes the real question. How do I get him to split and stack it next time???

1. Say thank you.
2. Be very, very good to his daughter.

You need a second father-in-law who owns a wood processor. Sure, it'll be tricky to have two father-in-laws at the same time, but think of the work it will save.

WOW! That's so nice.You are very lucky.

I also get free bar oil and all the Mt. Dew I can drink! I took the 4-wheeler into the woods where he is cutting and there is probably a few more cords just in tops and odd pieces. None of the other family members will waste time cleaning this up because they all have OWB's and small wood is a waste of time.

My in-laws are really great people. I think I'm one of the few who can actually say they like spending time with the in-laws!

Great stack of wood ikessky!

No, you are not the only one. Sadly, both my mother-in-law and father-in-law are up in Heaven now but I always got along with them great and enjoyed our time together.

ikessky said:
I also get free bar oil and all the Mt. Dew I can drink! I took the 4-wheeler into the woods where he is cutting and there is probably a few more cords just in tops and odd pieces. None of the other family members will waste time cleaning this up because they all have OWB's and small wood is a waste of time.

My in-laws are really great people. I think I'm one of the few who can actually say they like spending time with the in-laws!

Nope . . . I spend more time with my brother-in-law than I do with my own brother . . . and I like my mother-in-law better than my own mother. I swear if it wasn't for the fact that I look so much like my Dad that I was mixed up at birth.

firefighterjake said:
I swear if it wasn't for the fact that I look so much like my Dad that I was mixed up at birth.

and that would make you and your wife . . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.