ooopppsss should have called the pros

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
100_0439.jpg

That was close! It almost took out the deck.........

Tree isn't even hinged... like to see the look on that amateurs face.

i was hoping to see a wildthing next to the stump :D

Did you notice the red " X " on the tree? To me, that means a lot clearing job. So the house, tree and everything else is probley going down. I could be wrong and that would not be the first time or the last time :)

this must be the guy's work truck

aw-crap-tree-truck-thumb.jpg

I'd say that was the homeowner or a friend. Windows are open and it's too nice to be torn down.
I can see that conversation now. "You want how much to cut that thing down???!!!"

I like that. Who said "Wild thing".

Peace

It's a wonder more people aren't killed or seriously injured, with some of the stuff you see...

Wow. Looks like they just cut right thru it? Shite happens, Trees own us. I have cut a fair # of trees down and that one would have scared me to death. I often use pulleys, trucks, etc. to help enforce proper fall direction. Regardless some wedges and a good notch would have been a good start. And still sweat the entire time, and once the tree is down I cheer for joy.

ansehnlich1 said:
hmmm, great idea! easy way to get firewood into the house :bug:

It'll never fit through the woodstove's doors.

Long as there is no wind... (when does that ever happen, or last?) That tree shouldn't have been that mean to drop, depending on the top...

Start with a nice bottom side wedge where you want it to go... then make an inclined cut above the wedge, but nearly intersecting at the meeting point from above and in back.

If you want the tree to hang away from you, leave some meat over there. If you want it to hang closer to you, leave some meat close to you.

Big tree like that, I'd stop a few times during the cut to check the wind. It can come and go here in Maine in a heartbeat and it changes EVERYTHING. When you've got room and play enough, knock a wedge into your last cut behind your saw and drive it until it begins to gap, the "fall" has already started at that point. Just finish the cut and back straight way from the trunk, and watch it while you're moving, don't turn your back on it.

Never just sidestep to the back side of the stump... but as you move directly away, angling opposite the direction of the fall isn't a bad idea. Big tree like that comes down, it can do all kinds of weird stuff. Seen them ride right over the stump and slide, take you out if you're in the wrong spot.

LeonMSPT said:
Long as there is no wind... (when does that ever happen, or last?) That tree shouldn't have been that mean to drop, depending on the top...

Start with a nice bottom side wedge where you want it to go... then make an inclined cut above the wedge, but nearly intersecting at the meeting point from above and in back.

If you want the tree to hang away from you, leave some meat over there. If you want it to hang closer to you, leave some meat close to you.

Big tree like that, I'd stop a few times during the cut to check the wind. It can come and go here in Maine in a heartbeat and it changes EVERYTHING. When you've got room and play enough, knock a wedge into your last cut behind your saw and drive it until it begins to gap, the "fall" has already started at that point. Just finish the cut and back straight way from the trunk, and watch it while you're moving, don't turn your back on it.

Never just sidestep to the back side of the stump... but as you move directly away, angling opposite the direction of the fall isn't a bad idea. Big tree like that comes down, it can do all kinds of weird stuff. Seen them ride right over the stump and slide, take you out if you're in the wrong spot.

Very well put.

He was deprived as a boy who never had a tree house.

Well, goes to my perpetual belief that most human learning is a simply matter of , "Monkey see, monkey do."

Dad cut big trees, and he cut them that way. Now, when I cut a big tree, that's how I do it.

BJ64 said:
mjbrown65 said:
I bet his wife was impressed!

For some reason I think they sent her to go get more beer.

if that was b4 they cut the tree down, i bet SHE needed more than beer when she got back.

mike

Stevebass4 said:
this must be the guy's work truck

aw-crap-tree-truck-thumb.jpg

this picture has made it ALL OVER the net.

That happened right here in St. Helens, Oregon. And I work with that guys wife :) I still give him crap about that.

that wil buff right out ;)

Stevebass4 said:
that wil buff right out ;)

Well, almost, he might need a bathroom plunger to pull the cab out from behind the seat.

fespo said:
Did you notice the red " X " on the tree? To me, that means a lot clearing job. So the house, tree and everything else is probley going down. I could be wrong and that would not be the first time or the last time :)

The house will for sure have an X on it to match the tree now since it has been pretty much cleared up about what is going to happen with the house as of this event.

I think the house tree was one of the craig list's free firewood ads. You cut the tree and keep the firewood.

D/F said:
...That happened right here in St. Helens, Oregon. And I work with that guys wife :) I still give him crap about that.

You give him crap about what he did to his truck, or about the fact that you work with his wife? I imagine she's given him more than sufficient crap about what he did to his truck. %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.