Opinions needed, Lopi Leyden questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-PB-

Feb 28, 2010
MD via Philly
Opinions needed. I may have the opportunity to purchase a Lopi Leyden for $1000. It is 2 years old, straight black finish, owner says in great condition. Used for 2 full seasons and owner says reputable stove shop did the install, chimney sweep and stove inspection for the two years.
Is this an ok deal, good deal, geat deal?
When I check it out, what should I be looking for?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This stove will want good draft. What is the flue set up that it would be hooked into?

Look for cracks all over and on the inside, especially at the back and bottom. Look for signs of overfire in the rear, near the flue collar. Make sure the bypass mechanism is working smoothly.

make sure the combustion chamber is cleaned out before you install it.

BeGreen said:
This stove will want good draft. What is the flue set up that it would be hooked into?

Look for cracks all over and on the inside, especially at the back and bottom. Look for signs of overfire in the rear, near the flue collar. Make sure the bypass mechanism is working smoothly.

thanks,
draft wont be an issue. I fight the uberdraft with my encore 2550 now.
I f I buy it it will either be a second stove in the basement level which will not be used very much
OR
switch it out with the encore, use it 24/7 on the main level, and use the encore sparingly in the basement
OR
flip it and sell it for more if it is a good deal, I just don't know what they go for used and in good condition.

There are a lot of gaskets in this stove, so you'll want to check each one to make sure there's a tight seal from each one:

Top Cover
Two doors
Ash drawer

Go find a new stove at a store and take a look in the two exhaust ports in the back of the firebox toward the bottom. You might want to gently put your fingers into those openings and feel the light refractory combustor in there. Then compare with what you feel on the one for sale. I've seen pieces of that combustor come loose and drop out of place, and I would never want to have to pay to have one of those combustors replaced, so make sure the used stove has the same feel as the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.