Opinions on wood source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
I was looking for a few opinions from some more experienced burners. I just had an 30 NC installed, which is an EPA stove. I have already ordered 4 cords this year from 3 different vendors, and all of them leave much to be desired. I currently have this wood stacked up and getting the seasoning it needs that the vendors stated it had. However, I now have this great new stove that I need to feed. My neighbor has about 4 cords worth of logs that he has stacked up for the last 3 years. These logs are in whole from and not bucked. He has offered to give me half of the cut and stack wood if I do the work. My question to you guys is should I chance another purchase of crap wood, burn what I have mixed with some seasoned wood, or burn the neighbors pile after I do all of the work. Thanks Frank

If it hasn't been cut to length its not that much drier now than the day it was felled. That's likely the problem with most of the "seasoned" wood you've been buying.

I think it depends on your ability and interest in doing the work, and your neighbor's need for the wood. I would be inclined to accept the offer whether or not I needed wood this year, because it sounds like easy pickins and I like doing the work, especially if I can do it on my schedule close to home. If your neighbor isn't going to burn this year, keep the driest stuff for you and give him his half from the wetter stuff. even the wetter stuff will be fine next year if he stacks it in the open.

The top logs, smaller diameter logs, exposed ends of logs, and certain species such as ash, cherry, soft maple, and pine are likely to be more burnable this year than logs laying inside the pile or on the ground, the middle (away from the ends) of logs, larger logs, and oak. If your neighbor is OK with you choosing which half you get you might be able to get some wood that burns OK now.

In any case, you will be very pleasantly surprised how much better your stove works next year with well seasoned wood. Also, you will be pleasantly surprised the following year when you realize the wood is even better in two years than it was in one.

Thanks,
I should state that he doesn't burn wood; he simply wants them in case we have power outages. I am going to take him up on this regardless of whether I do it now or once it thaws. I just want something that I can burn now and I do not trust any of these hacks who are selling wood as seasoned.

fran35 said:
Thanks,
I should state that he doesn't burn wood; he simply wants them in case we have power outages. I am going to take him up on this regardless of whether I do it now or once it thaws. I just want something that I can burn now and I do not trust any of these hacks who are selling wood as seasoned.

There must be 50 guys selling wood around here so the choices are many. I don't buy wood but if I did, I'd take a moisture meter and a splitting maul and go visit some of them. That way, you know what you are getting before you buy it.

Good luck fran35. NO doubt the wood is not seasoned even though it has been cut for some time. It just won't dry until it is cut to firewood length AND SPLIT. Then it is a matter of stacking it out in the wind and let Mother Nature do her work to evaporate the moisture.

If I were in your situation, I'd certainly take him up on the offer and I'd also repay him somehow; maybe cut it all so that his half is already cut to length. I'd also stack it for him as it is a generous offer he made. But, it won't be the best.....but probably the best you'll find this year. I'd suggest finding some really dry wood; like maybe get some of those free pallets. Cut those up and mix with the wood you have to hopefully get you through this winter. Just be sure to check that chimney often!

Flip a coin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.