Orange Snow around my newer Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docthree

Jan 10, 2015
Illinois
What is going on here? Anybody have a clue what is happening here? Should I be worried?

Drolet Myriad Wood burner with new chimney installed November 2014
Single lined stovepipe 13 ft straight up indoors, 8 ft Class A through roof
Burning Ash and Oak

Attachments

• OrangeSnowChimney1.PNG
    OrangeSnowChimney1.PNG
    334.4 KB · Views: 591
  • OrangeSnowChimney2.PNG
    OrangeSnowChimney2.PNG
    292.5 KB · Views: 546
Giraffe marking his territory?

Looks like your stove tossed its cookies! ;lol ...sorry :(

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that from a chimney. Burn anything besides wood for fire starter? Sickly squirrels? Oh man, I better just stop...

Just a guess, but it maybe caused by cold burns with wet wood. If so, check the screen on the cap is about to plug up.

I would not jump to any conclusions at this point. I would go up on top of your roof and do alittle more investigation to see if it is really coming from your stove or from some other source. It just does not look like something that has been burned to me. I could be wrong but if you want to know for sure then you need to check it out.

Nice stainless steel boot. You didn't by chance stick one of those cheap black Home Depot chimney caps on top did you? Those things have caused more orange chimneys and roofs than anything I know.

I'm guessing the answer to that question is no. Feeding the local pigeons a steady diet of pizza?

Could it be rusty water from your single wall pipe?

Condensation dripping from cap when extremely cold. Had some of this last week too. I remember another member posting about orange/brown icesickles last week too.

yup its condensation from the bitter cold.we had the brown drips,and iceicles here this week,even though our wood is way under 20 percent thats plenty of moisture when its this cold to condense at the top or a twenty seven foot run and drip from the tin rain cap.

Condensation dripping from cap when extremely cold. Had some of this last week too. I remember another member posting about orange/brown icesickles last week too.

+1. Had this happen as well during wicked cold and windy spells.

I think you may be referring to me. ;?

yup its condensation from the bitter cold.we had the brown drips,and iceicles here this week,even though our wood is way under 20 percent thats plenty of moisture when its this cold to condense at the top or a twenty seven foot run and drip from the tin rain cap.

Yup :)

We get these orangey brown icicles hanging from the cap every year when the temps dip, and eventually they break off leaving little bits of orangey brown ice bits on the roof and ground. It's nothing to worry about.

Did you burn Osage orange?

Should you avoid eating orange snow like you should yellow snow?

So many questions....

Date you to touch and handle the stuff. I couldn't get the small off of me.

Don't eat it!

Status
Not open for further replies.