ordered a clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer292

Jan 3, 2008
LI NY
I ordered my insert and now I could use some advise on what tools and accessories I'll need. I'm figuring a shovel and some good gloves so far. Any suggestions as to other things that are necessity and a good online supply source? Thanks in advance.

an ash bucket of some sort. Stove thermometer.

You'll want a coal rake too... I haven't picked one up yet and I've been using the shovel and poker to rake the coals around. That doesn't work too well.

Also when you get the stove top therometer, place it dead center on top of the stove right between the 2 exhaust ports for the blower and push it back as far as it will go up against the surround. I've tried placing it on the front right hand side of the stove, it does not get a good reading from there. Top & center seems to work best on the Clydesdale.

Post a thread with your running temps once you've been burning it for a week or two. I'm always curious to see what people run their inserts at.

My insert was installed on tuesday. It's been difficult to say the least to keep a fire going. Very frustrating!!!!! Attached is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 349
Yeah sounds like the wood. Try buying some of that firewood at the grocery store or hardware store and see if burning that makes a big difference.

I think it's the wood. I need to pick up some dry wood so I can compare. It's late in the season here and I haven't had any luck finding any. The wood looks to be seasoned but is definitely wet. I can't get anything to burn today. I've been struggling all morning. The weather is supposed to be warm for a few more days so I have a little time to find something dry.

If you suspect the wood, try splitting them in half again. The wood will usually look even wetter when split - but it will dry and burn quicker.

Thanks for the tip. I have been splitting the wood and it is definitely wet. My neighbor has an old Kent and he has been able to get it to burn but he isn't getting the heat he was with dry stuff. On top of it being wet I'm pretty sure we got beat on the amount. I need to find a good source on LI. I'm gonna go up to HD and buy a few bundles of dry stuff and split it into kindling. I have heard lots of complaints about the guys who sell firewood around here. Either its wet or it doesn't measure a cord or both. I guess the quick buck is what they are looking for. Why should selling firewood be any different. It seems to be that way with most things today. I feel for the good guys cause they are few a far between.

Another option is to try some of the BioBricks or Bio Logs. I supplement my fires with a few BioBricks once in a while. Acutally every time I start my fire I use 2 Bio Bricks stacked on top of two splits and one smaller split on top of the BioBricks. Works great everytime. The BioBricks are guaranteed to burn, as they are not wet, so it promises a good start everytime.

Hunt around and maybe you can find some.

It's the wood. It's green according to my sons scout leader. He was at the house just now and took a look. He says it looks as though it was cut recently. It would explain the struggles to keep the fire going. I didn't think it looked that bad but what do I know. Now I have to find some dry wood.

Yeah I guess you bought some wood for next year first and now looking for some for now.

Yeah, when you start burning wood you quickly learn that dry is good and even drier is even better. So..you have next years wood now. This spring will be a good time to buy more of next year's wood, and if you have the space, wood for the year after. From then on, you just buy a year's worth each spring and each winter you sit back and enjoy your foresight. Plus if you buy it green, you pay much less. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.