orlan 25 super install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mexs613

Nov 11, 2008
brockville ont
Hey everybody new to the sight.I have a orlan super need help designing piping water lines I have oil fire hot water tank and no storage radiate heated floor. is some how could help kinda lost on piping designing. need help thanks

Welcome to the Boiler Room. There's about a million threads here dealing with piping strategies. I'd start with the stickies at the top of the forum, especially the one about primary/secondary piping.

What do you have for a backup? Is it an oil or gas boiler. Sounds like you have an oil hot water heater, too.

One decision you need to make first is whether you're going to pipe the new boiler into the old boiler directly (series install) or run it separately, but still connected to the system (parallel).

Also, are you putting the Orlan 25 in the basement or in an outbuilding?

That's a good place to start, anyway.

Hey eric i have oil hot water tank for floor heat and hot water.putting boiler in my garage. smoke pipe installed.having hard time understanding pump and zone valves. howmany valves pumps. any help wood be great

If you're using zone valves, then you only need one system pump, but it has to be sized to match your pipe size and distance from the boiler to the house. I don't know how to do that, but plenty of people here, do. You probably also want a small pump like a Taco 007 to pump water from the top of your boiler down to the return to keep the return water above 130 degrees. That will make the boiler last longer. Or you can use a mixing valve to do the same thing, but it's more expensive and complicated to set up.

Zone valves are electrically-operated valves that open and close, allowing hot water to flow into the zone. That's all they do. You wire the zone valve up to a thermostat on the zone and it opens the valve when the stat calls for heat. It closes it when the zone is satisfied.

Do you have some specific questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.