Osage fence posts, complete with fencing staples.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Questions

Dec 6, 2011
Southwest MO
A few years ago, I replaced the old fence line on the back of my property. The old fence posts are split osage (hedge, bodark) nice and dry except for the the part that was in the ground (that I cut off). The only problem is that they are full of fencing staples. Is it ok just to let the fire sort out the staples or should I try and pull them out before burning them.

My fireplace has a metal firebox.

Thanks!

i wold burn them i have burnd locast posts with nales in them i think it is fine

No Problem with that aint going to hurt a thing. Just dont throw the ash's in the driveway or the yard.

Burn 'em as is . . . just dispose of the ash away from anywhere that could lead to a punctured tire in the future.

The thing I'd worry about is cutting the posts and hitting a staple. After they are cut go ahead and burn them on a cold night.

Thanks everyone, and yes, I will definitely watch where I put the ashes. I just flattened a tire about a month ago from a fencing staple I picked up out on the road. They are much worse than any nail.

I can't wait to see how these posts burn, they should be wonderful.

Burning Questions said:
Thanks everyone, and yes, I will definitely watch where I put the ashes. I just flattened a tire about a month ago from a fencing staple I picked up out on the road. They are much worse than any nail.

I can't wait to see how these posts burn, they should be wonderful.

Should be good stuff. If you have an open "fireplace" (i.e. not a wood stove), be careful with the hedge because it can pop and spark somethin' fierce. If you have a screen I would highly recommend using it. If your fireplace is a wood stove then disregard my previous comment.

I burn quite a bit of hedge that was girdled 10-15 years ago and is still standing when I cut it (much like a fence post). Cutting them down to firewood length is probably going to be hell on your chains because:

1.) Old, dead hedge is wicked hard
2.) As the sapwood layer decays it makes little nooks and crannies that are fantastic at accumulating dust and dirt over the years. Most wood will do this, but hedge seems to be the best at it IMO, probably because the posts last so long and have more time to catch more dirt. Don't be shocked if you see some sparks coming of the chain.

Get a big magnet from Home Cheapo that roofers use to pick up nails. Cheap. That's how I remove the nails from my ash pile before I dump it.
Getting quite a nail collection this year:)

As a kid it was my job to pull all the nails. Our cookstove had a shaker grate and the nails would get stuck in the grate, getting me in trouble. The ashes went on the garden and a nail in the garden tractor tire would get me in even more trouble. I vowed as an adult that I would never burn wood with nails in it.

A magnet would not have kept the nails out of the grate but might have saved my butt on the flat tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.