Cornflakes Posted By Cornflakes, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:31 PM

1. Cornflakes

Cornflakes
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Maryland
    I’m wondering if this is too good to be true...

F4DE8FA5-C12B-4EA4-B41E-27AE44E66DBF.png 92C17DAE-7E82-4966-8629-0D480BC06EE6.png

2. JimBear

JimBear
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 15, 2017
    Loc:
    SW Iowa
    I believe if I was you I would be all over that one. Delivered, cut & split.

3. Cornflakes

Cornflakes
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Maryland
    He is coming next Sunday with my load! Said he has about 2-3 cords and it’s been on a pile for 2 years. Said he sells wood for $200 a cord in season and out of season drops his price so he can still move wood. He said he has a nice sized customer list and even told me if my wood didn’t stack out right he would bring me more. Said he always wants to do right by people.

osagebow, Lone_Gun and JimBear like this.
  4. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    Those splits look pretty big, almost can split them again, they'll throw a ton of heat that big being Osage Orange!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Cornflakes likes this.
  5. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Wow, that is fantastic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. osagebow

osagebow
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2012
    Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Nice score! That stuff does look like it's been sitting split a while too.

7. woodhounder

woodhounder
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2019
    Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Call him and get the rest of it.

begreen likes this.
  8. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, I'd take it all without a second thought

9. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Not a bad price. You'll appreciate it next January.

10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Verify that these are full cords and not face cords.

11. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Just keep in mind that OO isn’t worth a hoot for starting a cold fire. The stuff is so darn hard it doesn’t readily light from low temp flame. That said - I would be hoarding that stuff like gold nuggets. I have had a few stove loads this past winter (and many winters past) and there is almost no comparison on the length of burns that stuff puts out.,

12. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Guess I need to be in Hagerstown to get the delivery. Too bad I'm a county away.

13. KC Matt

KC Matt
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 29, 2016
    Loc:
    Kansas City
    I start a fire with hedge all the time. It's a non issue.

Where I'm from nobody wants the stuff because they believe it causes chimney fires. They don't know their fires are caused by filthy chimneys that always burn green wood and are never cleaned so they are lined with creosote. Green hedge will still burn hot because it's dry when live, and sparks a lot.

Anyways, unless I was burning in an open fireplace, I'd love to buy it at $150 a cord. I have access to miles of hedge rows and used to have a front end loader to help but it's no fun to cut.

14. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Agree with no fun to cut. Not sure about its dry when its green though. The bark will not peel off easily when its drying so it takes a while to dry otherwise. It burns similar to locust so that's where the creosote comes in I guess. Green locust will give you real nasty creosote. Its the natural preservative in the wood I guess.

15. Cornflakes

Cornflakes
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Maryland
    I did... said he has an F250 with a dump trailer... says they are full cords and if I wasn’t happy with it he would bring me more. He said he wants to do right by people and keep his customer base.

I guess I’ll find out this Sunday!

16. Cornflakes

Cornflakes
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Hello neighbor.... Frederick County?

17. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Maryland fam popping up lol

18. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Yep, but way over by the Carrol County side. I could stand in both counties at once if I had waders.

19. spirilis

spirilis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 8, 2009
    Loc:
    New Market, MD
    FYI I don't know if there's any left but someone on MD-31 right at Libertytown has had unsplit pine logs free for the taking near the roadside for a while. He fell a hedge of pine trees and I think I saw the last of them piled up last week coming home from work.

Might help light those hedgeapple splits :)

Cornflakes likes this.
  20. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    I'll have to swing down that way to take a look see. Thanks!

21. Cornflakes

Cornflakes
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Well... so... about that Osage Orange...

We had a lot of rain, and the guy told me he was stuck in the mud and wouldn’t be able to get a load of wood to me until the ground dries. I told him no worries... hit me up when you can get the load. He also then asked me if I wanted a cord of oak for $120 in addition to the Osage orange. I told him I had wood purchasing obligation to another guy and we could play it by ear.

So far..I haven’t heard from him since. I’m not seeking him out... I figure if he really wants to sell the wood he will reach out.

22. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    I find it easier to put dense wood like White Oak or BL in on a decent coal bed to get it burning easier. I'm assuming that the Hedge I have will be the same, whenever I get around to trying it. If I'm starting a cold stove, I'll put a couple of dense splits in the back but start the fire in the front with some Red Oak, White Ash or other easy-to-start wood.

23. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I think at the $$ amounts being mentioned - I would seek him out & keep doing that until he got me some. Then if it really works out like he said - I would get more. Lots more.

24. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    The Osage Orange can take a while to get it started unless it's small and super dry.

25. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    I hope it works out for you I would take all of it if I didn't have access to any.