Osage orange listed as a cord for $150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
I’m wondering if this is too good to be true...

F4DE8FA5-C12B-4EA4-B41E-27AE44E66DBF.png 92C17DAE-7E82-4966-8629-0D480BC06EE6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe if I was you I would be all over that one. Delivered, cut & split.

I believe if I was you I would be all over that one. Delivered, cut & split.

He is coming next Sunday with my load! Said he has about 2-3 cords and it’s been on a pile for 2 years. Said he sells wood for $200 a cord in season and out of season drops his price so he can still move wood. He said he has a nice sized customer list and even told me if my wood didn’t stack out right he would bring me more. Said he always wants to do right by people.

Those splits look pretty big, almost can split them again, they'll throw a ton of heat that big being Osage Orange!

Reactions: Cornflakes
Nice score! That stuff does look like it's been sitting split a while too.

Verify that these are full cords and not face cords.

Just keep in mind that OO isn’t worth a hoot for starting a cold fire. The stuff is so darn hard it doesn’t readily light from low temp flame. That said - I would be hoarding that stuff like gold nuggets. I have had a few stove loads this past winter (and many winters past) and there is almost no comparison on the length of burns that stuff puts out.,

Just keep in mind that OO isn’t worth a hoot for starting a cold fire. The stuff is so darn hard it doesn’t readily light from low temp flame. That said - I would be hoarding that stuff like gold nuggets. I have had a few stove loads this past winter (and many winters past) and there is almost no comparison on the length of burns that stuff puts out.,

I start a fire with hedge all the time. It's a non issue.

Where I'm from nobody wants the stuff because they believe it causes chimney fires. They don't know their fires are caused by filthy chimneys that always burn green wood and are never cleaned so they are lined with creosote. Green hedge will still burn hot because it's dry when live, and sparks a lot.

Anyways, unless I was burning in an open fireplace, I'd love to buy it at $150 a cord. I have access to miles of hedge rows and used to have a front end loader to help but it's no fun to cut.

Agree with no fun to cut. Not sure about its dry when its green though. The bark will not peel off easily when its drying so it takes a while to dry otherwise. It burns similar to locust so that's where the creosote comes in I guess. Green locust will give you real nasty creosote. Its the natural preservative in the wood I guess.

Verify that these are full cords and not face cords.

I did... said he has an F250 with a dump trailer... says they are full cords and if I wasn’t happy with it he would bring me more. He said he wants to do right by people and keep his customer base.

I guess I’ll find out this Sunday!

FYI I don't know if there's any left but someone on MD-31 right at Libertytown has had unsplit pine logs free for the taking near the roadside for a while. He fell a hedge of pine trees and I think I saw the last of them piled up last week coming home from work.

Might help light those hedgeapple splits :)

Reactions: Cornflakes
Well... so... about that Osage Orange...

We had a lot of rain, and the guy told me he was stuck in the mud and wouldn’t be able to get a load of wood to me until the ground dries. I told him no worries... hit me up when you can get the load. He also then asked me if I wanted a cord of oak for $120 in addition to the Osage orange. I told him I had wood purchasing obligation to another guy and we could play it by ear.

So far..I haven’t heard from him since. I’m not seeking him out... I figure if he really wants to sell the wood he will reach out.

I start a fire with hedge all the time. It's a non issue
I find it easier to put dense wood like White Oak or BL in on a decent coal bed to get it burning easier. I'm assuming that the Hedge I have will be the same, whenever I get around to trying it. If I'm starting a cold stove, I'll put a couple of dense splits in the back but start the fire in the front with some Red Oak, White Ash or other easy-to-start wood.

Well... so... about that Osage Orange...

We had a lot of rain, and the guy told me he was stuck in the mud and wouldn’t be able to get a load of wood to me until the ground dries. I told him no worries... hit me up when you can get the load. He also then asked me if I wanted a cord of oak for $120 in addition to the Osage orange. I told him I had wood purchasing obligation to another guy and we could play it by ear.

So far..I haven’t heard from him since. I’m not seeking him out... I figure if he really wants to sell the wood he will reach out.

I think at the $$ amounts being mentioned - I would seek him out & keep doing that until he got me some. Then if it really works out like he said - I would get more. Lots more.

I hope it works out for you I would take all of it if I didn't have access to any.