Osage orange "score"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Went back this morning to gather up some "fruit" for seeds to plant and I noticed a log laying under a pile of debris. It's a decent sized log that's about a foot across at the bottom. Osage orange. I tapped it with my knuckles and it was solid as a rock. Hoping to go back next week with my truck and a tow strap to get it out. I've never seen this wood before and haven't spoken to any one else who has. I'd like to post pics when I get it out. How do I go about doing that ? It it "upload a file" ?

Great find Buddy. And yes, click on "Upload a File" and direct it to the file you want. When I find the file, I just double click on it and it pops right into the forum. It will then give you the opportunity to put it in as a thumbnail, which does not take up so much space. If you want to load several pictures, hold the Ctrl key while selecting the files.

Went back this morning to gather up some "fruit" for seeds to plant and I noticed a log laying under a pile of debris. It's a decent sized log that's about a foot across at the bottom. Osage orange. I tapped it with my knuckles and it was solid as a rock. Hoping to go back next week with my truck and a tow strap to get it out. I've never seen this wood before and haven't spoken to any one else who has. I'd like to post pics when I get it out. How do I go about doing that ? It it "upload a file" ?
I just drove past large tennis ball looking fruit along the side of the road that must be Osage. I think its pretty rare in north central NJ.

Good stuff, harder than woodpecker lips! I think it's the only thing better than locust.

Reactions: blujacket
There's plenty around here, I just haven't been lucky enough to get a sizeable amount yet...
Here's my stash. ;lol
011-2.jpg

Congrats - Sharpen that chain, watch the thorns !

Went back this morning to gather up some "fruit" for seeds to plant
They are supposed to repel insects but I don't know if that works or not. I've been seeing the fruit and was wondering about planting some also. Got any tips?? Just start tossing them on the floor of the woods? I figure the more sun the better, but I don't really have a spot that gets all-day sun.

They are supposed to repel insects but I don't know if that works or not. I've been seeing the fruit and was wondering about planting some also. Got any tips?? Just start tossing them on the floor of the woods? I figure the more sun the better, but I don't really have a spot that gets all-day sun.
Mash them up, add water pour in hole or trench and cover.

I just drove past large tennis ball looking fruit along the side of the road that must be Osage. I think its pretty rare in north central NJ.
We have tons around us in central west NJ.

They don't all drop the fruit; There are male and female trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.