Osburn Hybrid 45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jz7355

Sep 18, 2008
long island
Hi All, I just recently installed my pellet stove. The heat is amazing. I did have a problem with an abundant smoke smell in the house. After some investigation I realized the exhaust port at the back of the stove was not properly sealed at the factory. It was sealed partially with some black soft goo. I called my dealer and he looked at another one he had and said his was sealed with red Hi-Temp silicone. We both came to the agreement that I should try to clean of the black goo and re-seal with rutlan 600 degree silicone. If that did not work he would pay for return delivery and take care of the problem. So I spent the better part of a Saturday removing the whole exhaust port and sanding it down clean and re-attaching it. I took my time and it turned out great. So now I am looking over every part to check it all out before it gets cold. I did notice on the pipe that goes from the combustion blower to the bottom of the burn pot was nicely sealed except for a small hole about the size of a pencil eraser. Everything else was sealed with red silicone but this hole. Is this a problem? Should this hole be covered up and sealed or is it needed for some sort of air exhaust for the hi temp swith? Second on the convection blower I noticed it is not fully sealed to the stove. There is no sealant. I assume that was manufactured that way for a reason. Any help would be appreciated.

i also just installed a hybrid 45 and luv it so far they did have to get me a new high heat sensior it kept shutting down on start up my dealer got me a new one with in 4 days and came back and installed 2 day after getting it but you are right they do put out some heat but after your post I'm gonna have to open it up and give it a good inspection the way this unit put out heat i should only have to run it on second or third setting to keep the house warm i was a little nervous about but this unit because i could not find any reviews on the osburn pellet stoves but so far so good my deal was at our local texas raod house for dinner the same night we went as he was leaving he slipped something under my arm as we were eating turned out to be a $50 gift card can't beat that

I am liking my Hybrid that I just installed. The glass gets foggy, but imagine i need to tweak the damper setting until I find the sweet spot. I found a lot of loose screws in the bottom of my stove when it got here... very bizarre. But no overwhelming smell during burning periods. My convection fan makes a horrendous noise on startup for about 15 minutes. Anyone of you experience that?

my glass gets dirty fast also and have tryed changing damper settings it seem to help some but not much still gets the white haze on the left side of the glass in about 3 hours but so far no other real complaints i think with all that glass it may just be nature of the beast

Iposted in another thread my theory about the glass getting dirty. This stove has much more glass than most. Many models just have the front panel and the rest of the stove would be expected to collect ash and soot. I think where it is just that side panel on most of these osburns, it is just the design. I rarely get any build up at all on the front glass no matter what the setting.

My glass too gets very sooty no matter what the setting of the air control. My fan is very noisy upon start up also, I guess its normal. The heat output is amazing. I am running it on the #2 setting for the burn rate. I set the thermostat to 68 at night and I am going thru about one bag in 24 hours. I do raise the temp during the day and evening to about 74. My wife likes it to be very warm in the house.

I did finally get in touch with Osburn. On there website they do have a support section where you can email digital photos to them with your written problem and they respond in about 48 hours. They said that my exhaust port on the back was not properly sealed with Hi-Temp 600 silicone. They said I could send it back to the dealer for another one or they would send me silicone for a home repair. I opted for the home repair, too much trouble to disconnect the whole unit and ship it back. I repaired it better than new it now works great. My only complaint is with the Duravent piping. I have a clean-out tee on the back of the unit and it seems to leak a bit of smoke upon start up. Not too much but if you use a flashlight you can see the smoke puffing out. They sent me a new one right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.