Outdoor Break In Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akennyd

Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
Has anyone ever done their break in fires outdoors? It will be a few weeks at least before I can start on my fireview install so I will have the stove and chimney all on hand anyway. Could I at least set the stove up and some of the lower sections of pipe and season them?

Is this a stupid question? I'm just thinking that the smell of the seasoning paint will not score any points with the wife so if I can do it outdoors, so much the better.

Thanks to all and hope y'all are enjoying your stoves with the cooler weather, sure wish I had a fire going, RIGHT NOW! :)

Kenny

John 3:16, 17

Some people have done it and it's certainly good to get the paint smell out of the house. If you can set up the stove and a couple pieces of flue pipe in an area where there isn't any danger from the fire, I'd consider giving it a go. Just make sure you use at least some flue or it won't draft/burn properly (or much at all).

The manual for my BK Princess recommends that you do the break in fires outdoors.

I was going to do it with my Summit until I started moving it around and just brought it in the house. I waited until my wife left, opened the windows and fired it up.... I get more fumes off the ash can than i ever did off the stove...

Stove dealers should offer this service to their customers! It would take a lot of quess work out of "seasoning" the stove during break in fires and It would be just another service they could charge for!

Do it if you have means. The smell is nasty and the wife will not like it. I can speak from experience here. :)

I hear tell that some do it with both their wood and their pellet stoves.

Attachments

• 30 outside.jpg
    30 outside.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 204
  • pdvc outside.jpg
    pdvc outside.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 206
Go for it Kenny. Also be sure to use the stove pipe that you will use indoors because you'll probably get more smoke and smell from that than you will with the stove.

Just be careful with the burn in fires. The first one really small, like kindling only and then just let the fire die out. Next one add a split or maybe 2. The third one add 3 splits. After that you are ready to go.

Good luck.

What is the time between fires - I presume just enough for the stove to cool completely?

CarbonNeutral said:
What is the time between fires - I presume just enough for the stove to cool completely?
Yes, you want the stove to cool before lighting the next fire. Although, they all don't have to be done one after another.

I tell you - when I finally get that damned stove in (a story I will tell upon completion), I will be blowing on the stove between break-ins to get get the next one lit sooner....

Thanks for the input, it sounds like it is a go for some outdoor break-in fires!!

Yes, I will be keeping the first 2 or 3 very, very small and then build from there. I am going to take it slooooowwwwwww.

This will save me from loosing points with the wife. If things go as I hope, she will grow to love the stove (she is indifferent about the whole stove thing right now). She is already complaining about the house being cold and it hasn't even really turned cold around here yet. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the house warmer with the stove than I do with the heatpumps, I turned them up a little more last night but that's it no higher.

Kenny

John 3:16

Status
Not open for further replies.