Outdoor Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm starting on cleaning up the area we have above the brook in the woods so we can use it in the summer and winter, we would like a fireplace or firepit and was just wondering what would be better and are there any good sites on building your own that I can get some ideas from.

zap

I'm just a simple dumb firefighter . . . I simply took a bunch of large fieldstones and arranged them in a circle . . . of course I only use my firepit when I have folks over and want a fire for light, toasting marshmallows or to cook over.

firefighterjake said:
I'm just a simple dumb firefighter . . . I simply took a bunch of large fieldstones and arranged them in a circle . . . of course I only use my firepit when I have folks over and want a fire for light, toasting marshmallows or to cook over.

Jake, looks like the wife wants a plain rock fireplace so once the snow clears I'll be looking for rocks.

zap

We use the old woodstove outside for our outside fireplace.
IMG00198599x798.jpg

Flatbedford said:
We use the old woodstove outside for our outside fireplace.
IMG00198599x798.jpg

Seems to be working well, it's 80 degrees in his yard

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:

Jake, looks like the wife wants a plain rock fireplace so once the snow clears I'll be looking for rocks.

zap

Simple, rustic and it works . . . good call . . . I have plenty of rocks to spare . . . just stop on by and I'll load you up. ;)

CTburning said:
Seems to be working well, it's 80 degrees in his yard

ha! That's great. I've seen lots of those old Franklin stoves on CL ranging from $100/best offer to over $400 (freshly painted from a $5 can of stove paint).

Well, don't use shale.. too many air and moisture pockets which heat up and explode the rock, but being in the ADK's there should be plenty of nice granites and gneisses to choose from.

I have seen some nice ones using field stones on the outside and firebrick on the inside. You can build the inside or outside first - does not matter. Fill the gap between the two with vermiculite...

I am still working on my design, I think it will be more of an outdoor fireplace with chimney to about 10 ft, to keep the smoke up up and away...

I like the site www.traditionaloven.com It is geared towards outdoor cooking ovens, but there are some great projects and ideas there. It just makes me hungry looking all the food people cook in them from pizzas to roasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.