Outdoor oil tank heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy123

Mar 5, 2011
PA
Last year when it got real cold, my outdoor tank gelled up. The oil guy recommended a plug in heater for the bottom of the tank for those times when it gets below 20 degrees. I can't remember what he told me to buy.

Anyone got a good recommendation?

Our oil company delivers and 'outdoor' blend as they call it that is cut with kerosene to prevent gelling, we've stopped using the furnace but for the previous 20 years there was no problem with gelling.

Many years ago, I had a friend with an outdoor tank and he had to buy winter blend which was expensive. We ended up building an insulated box around the tank and installed a 100 watt light bulb on a temperature switch at the base of the box under the tank. He switched back to #2 fuel oil and heated like that for several years. The light bulb very rarely turned on, as the box was well insulated. If you use an external heater on an unsulated tank, its going to use up a lot more power. I expect instead of a light bulb you could also wrap the tank with self regulating heat tape. If you use heat tape make sure its self regulating.

If there is a heater let me know. I have been looking for one to heat my solvent tank in teh garage to ~100-150*

Status
Not open for further replies.