Outdoor or indoor (in a shack)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hottubbrad

Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Ontario
I am wondering about whether to install an outdoor boiler or install in indoor boiler in an insulated small building.
I was sold on an outdoor boiler when a aquaintance of mine suggested a Tarm indoor (installed outdoors).

What are the pros and cons of this? My biggest concern is max BTU as I have a hot tub and want a pool.
Also, what are realistic wood refill times I can expect? My new house I am building is 1600 square feet 2 storey (no basement) with a heated slab.

Thanks

My suggestion would be an indoor boiler in an insulated building. Many advantages including pre-warmed dry wood. Also, if possible attach the small insulated building to your main structure. This way you can walk right through a door from the living area into the "boiler room". Good luck with your new house.

Definitely get at gasifier. I agree with WRboiler that it would be great to have it attached to the house for loading convenience and it would save money to not have to bury pipes etc.

What about the smoke from having the boiler too close to your house?
I like camping, but I don't need to smell it 365 days a year.....
I was planning on remote locating about 150' away.
It sounds like this is not preferable...??

Can't say that there never will be an smoke with a gasifier, but also highly recommend going that route. My Tarm is installed inside my shop, 5' stovepipe to ceiling and 22' of Class A chimney. There is no chimney smoke that has ever entered the shop. Occasionally very little smoke out the firebox door if I add wood before the prior load has burned to low coals (manual says to wait until low coals before adding wood).

An outdoor likely will spew smoke like a drugged dragon. Before the gasifier I had an OWB 150 feet away, and the smoke was horrendous.

There will be only about 1/3 as much smoke from a gasifier. I would guess the chimney needs to run to the height of the roof or at least above windows. It seems to me a lot of efficiency would be lost with a 150' run. I would think it would be much less expensive to run the chimney higher than to bury all that pex. Plus closer to the house it could be all copper and run at temps higher than 180*. The 150' sounds like a lot, but with an OWB and the wind just right, you could still get a lot of smoke at the house.

One question that is critical, how much well seasoned wood will you have on hand this coming heating season ?

I have about 1/4 acre that I cleared this summer. And about 1 cord that was done last fall. I wasn't too concerned as an outdor boiler will burn anything.
For an indoor model, what do you recommend for seasoning...?

ALSO, how often do you fill these things?? Assuming some type of water storage....

For most wood burning appliances for which you need to install a chimney, the mfr recommends a minimum chimney height. In addition to that minimum, the chimney must be at least 3' above the roof and 2' above any point on the roof measured horizontally. Look at the mfr recommendations in connection with deciding what you want to purchase.

IMO smoke from a gasifier is much less than 1/3 that of an OWB; essentially smoke free except on start-up and restart after idling.

Status
Not open for further replies.