OUTDOOR STORAGE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pollywog

Apr 12, 2011
southern, NH
I know all the suppliers around here store there pellets outside, I have 2 ton outside right know. I want to put them in my screen house. That means unwrapping them from the shrink wrap and carrying them into the screen house and stacking them. Will this be ok? the would now be individual bags outside under the cover of the roof, but open to the humid air. This will be my first year with a pellet stove, so I am still learning.
Thanks

In general, re-stacking the pellets will not cause any problems as long as they are under a cover, such as you have. Most pallets of pellets also have a large plastic bag over them, and that should be put back over the re-stacked pellets. If you really want to insure they stay dry, or the pellets you buy don't have the big baggie over them, you might go to a UPS store, or something like it, and buy a roll of the thin wrapping plastic and go around and around until it's sealed-up.

I have 2 tons of pellets in my outdoor shed that still have the plastic wrapping & the baggie still intact, and they are still fine after 2 years.

Attachments

• Shed w. pellets.jpg
    Shed w. pellets.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 754
Do what you can to cover them. I would not buy pellets stored outside.

Eric

I put down landscape timbers with 7/16 OSB on them. On top of this, I put a pallet and re-stack the pallet I just bought. The white bag from the pellet manufacturer goes on and after 4 tons are lined up, a cheap blue tarp that reaches the ground on all four sides is put over it. I have never seen any water damage.

I used to store pellets in my screened in porch. After doing this for 5-7 years, I had an issue where 1/3 of the bags became wet. Perhaps it was a humid winter, I cant' remember. The bottom line was that I had at least a half ton of pellets go bad......they turned into saw dust from the moisture.

Since this time, I've stored my pellets inside. I do; however, purchase pellets that have been stored outside. I dont really have a choice here in Cincinnati.

Status
Not open for further replies.