Outdoor vertical rise vs Harman butterfly valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehkewley

Sep 2, 2011
Southern NH
www.google.com
Greetings!

I have a Jarman pellet stove (p43) on layway from Stove Keepers in Brookline, NH. They will be installing the stove early next month. I've read on the forum that it's good to have a 5'+ vertical chimney rise to avoid smoke issues during a power outage. I contacted Stove Keepers and they told me that the P43 comes with a butterfly valve that should prevent any backdraft. Does anyone have experience with this? I tried a quick search on the forum, but didn't turn up any results.

That valve is on the intake if I am not mistaken. My Fahrenheit Endurance has one also. It is designed to keep cold air from entering stove, when it is not running. Harmans can be direct vented. But a rise is always good. You just need to watch how much horizontal you use. Make sure to put a 1/4" rise per ft of horizontal. I also believe that you should keep it under 5 ft of horizontal. I may be wrong about that, but I would keep it to a minimum.

ehkewley said:
Greetings!

I have a Jarman pellet stove (p43) on layway from Stove Keepers in Brookline, NH. They will be installing the stove early next month. I've read on the forum that it's good to have a 5'+ vertical chimney rise to avoid smoke issues during a power outage. I contacted Stove Keepers and they told me that the P43 comes with a butterfly valve that should prevent any backdraft. Does anyone have experience with this? I tried a quick search on the forum, but didn't turn up any results.

I know what part he is referring to but if the power does go out yes the combustion blower will stop and the "butterfly valve" should close. the unburnt pellets will still smolder and since the stove lost it's negative pressure the smoke will escape the stove via any path it can. The vertical rise "should" create a natural draft pulling the smoldering pellet smoke from the unit out the venting. Does it work all the time????????

Does anyone know a better explanation?

Eric

Thanks for the responses. So it sounds like it may be safer to have a vertical rise. I do have the OAK kit coming with it as well.

I lost power last winter while my p68 was on. I have 5 foot vert and had now smoke escape into my home, the set up worked as it should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.