outside air question from newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajwoodman

Aug 6, 2008
Me
Hi everybody,
Have learned alot from this forum but I have a specific little problem trying to install an outside air for combustion. I have a Breckwell Big E in the basement, installed with Selkirk vent pipe and flex pipe in the chimney. I would like to install the outside air but can't find anything to adapt 2 to 3 inch pipe. I would like to use 3 inch stove pipe as I have quite a long run up the wall to the outside and then an added few feet so I won't have a problem with snow etc. The Breckwell has a 2 inch pipe and I was thinking of using 2 inch stainless flex pipe for a foot and then adapting to 3 inch regular stove pipe. I don't know what to use to adapt from the 2 to 3 inch pipe. Any suggestions, and maybe I am doing something all wrong. I think the 2 inch flex pipe would fit right on the back of the stove with a clamp but how to adapt after is my problem. I also thought about using pvc pipe but nobody has recommended that so I don't know if that is feasible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

BrownianHeatingTech said:
A 2x3" flue increaser is a standard piece of sheetmetal, which any HVAC parts supplier should have.

Joe

Please direct me to one that you know of. I have been unable to find a 2" to 3" adapter. Thanks

I have a Big E. Pretty sure mine is 3 inch because I ran 4 inch pipe and used a 3 to 4 inch adapter. Just checked on the Breckwell site and indeed it says 3 inch. Well, that is the vent. I'm not running outside air so maybe that is 2.

what else could be used to make an outside air intake, other than the "kits" offered by dealers, which seem to be pretty expensive for what they are...

I'm thinking, something that looks like a dryer vent, with a short length of rigid (yet thin and inexpensive) aluminum duct, that'll slip easily through a wall space, giving you something to connect a piece of flexible duct to. dryer vents are typically 4", which would be too big.

mralias said:
A 2x3" flue increaser is a standard piece of sheetmetal, which any HVAC parts supplier should have.
Please direct me to one that you know of. I have been unable to find a 2" to 3" adapter. Thanks

Well, just for one example... http://www.bellsimons.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Bell&file=locations

Joe

Thanks joe but the site does not help much.

User log-in and registration

Please select an option from the menu below:
Log-in.
Sorry! New account registration is currently disabled
Reasons:
Sorry, registration is disabled at this time.
Retrieve lost password.

They dont have a contact number or a way to create a new account. Any other locations????

My stove is a Breckwell Big E and the vent pipe is 3 inch, but the outside air pipe is 2 inch. I have been trying to find a supplier for a 2x3 adapter but have had no luck yet. I can do it with a 2 inch stainless flex pipe (like the ones in the kit) coming out the back of the stove for a foot and then using a rubber increaser (2x3) with hose clamps and then going into the three inch. Not sure it is pretty but it works. The store that I work for has an account with Bell Simons so I will be checking that out tomorrow. Will post on what I find out. They only sell to their own dealers.

mralias said:

Log-in.
Reasons:
Retrieve lost password.

They dont have a contact number or a way to create a new account. Any other locations????

You shouldn't have to log in just to click locations on the map and get a store number.

They have 12 locations in MA.

In any case, that's just one supply house. I would suggest the yellow pages, and look up wholesale HVAC suppliers. Most will sell to the public.

Joe

mralias said:

Log-in.
Reasons:
Retrieve lost password.

You shouldn't have to log in just to click locations on the map and get a store number.

They have 12 locations in MA.

In any case, that's just one supply house. I would suggest the yellow pages, and look up wholesale HVAC suppliers. Most will sell to the public.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Called location in Braintree MA and they do no carry reducer's for any stoves. Have also called other HVAC supplies such as Snow and Jones, and a few local shops around here. No one seems to have a 3" to 2" reducer or knows where to get one.

No luck getting an adapter. I ended up using a 2 inch stainless steel flex pipe for a foot and did the rubber adapter to a 90 elbow and up with the galvanized pipe to outside. I think this will work ok. I looked everywhere for a 2x3 adapter. No such animal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.