Outside air through the floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Does anyone ever route an outside air tube through the floor? Particularily if one lives in a mobile home or an older home with a crawl space underneath, or a cabin on piers? I am not talking about routing into a basement that is livable room space. But dead air space. I assume that when the term "outside" is used for outside air, they mean outside of the indoor area where the stove is placed, not necessarily outdoors. I know they make wall thimbles with the outside air tube built in and these are nice looking...but if a person doesn't have one of these installed, it always galls me to think of constantly drilling holes through the walls of a house and through siding, etc. It is so much easier to drill through a floor and patch it up someday if you change stove locations.

Outside air is outside air. follow code and manufacturer recommendations.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Provided the length and diameter of the air supply is ok, capturing from beneath, beside or above is ok...however, you do not want to capture from within 3' of any other air handing equipment...intake or exhaust.

To add to what Scott is saying in your situation you also need to make certain of two very important things:

1. That you do not cut through any structural part of the floor, the deck is one thing and any of the parts of the structure that hold up the deck are off limits when it comes to cutting. You always need to reinforce structural members if they get cut (consult a proper engineer for guidance).

and

2. That there is actual unblocked space under the floor that is open to the outside at all times. You can't have snow drifts stopping the air flow around your structure.

Highbeam (member here) piped his OAK for his woodstove from the crawl space beneath. He's got some nice pics of that installation. So far as I know, he's always been perfectly happy with it. No, I'm not Highbeam's attorney. ;lol Rick

Yes, my OAK goes through the floor behind the stove. I have a log home, and didn't want to cut a hole in the logs, so I went down into the basement, and then out through the wall there.

Status
Not open for further replies.