outside pellet storage update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
i just opened up pallet #2 of 4 that are double wrapped and sitting in my drive way. there were no issues at all. its been fairly wet with rain but no snow pilling up against the pallets. so far so good.

The 5 tons that I bought last May were all double wrapped , and they had been stored outside at the mill or at the place I bought them but they were wrapped so well I doubt any moisture could have gotten in. I had to really work hard to unwrap them. The outer plastic was a thick heavy white plastic, and inside of that it was a clear plastic sheet, one continuous clear sheet that went around, and around, it had to be about 60 foot long when I unwrapped it. I would say if the pallet is well wrapped and you have no holes in the plastic wrapping, you could safely leave them outside on the wood pallet without a problem until youre ready to use them. I stored mine in my garage, but they spent a few weeks outside.

I run two stoves and store 7 or 8 tons outdoors on my cement driveway every season without major issue. I put two layers of tarps on top to give extra protection which I usually have to clean of after a ran. In the fall before the temp drop below freezing the pallet I'm using will end up with a few bags where some moisture has worked its way into the bag right at the top where the heat seal was made usually just a couple of handfuls of wet pellets so its really not a huge problem.

At least half the places around here store them outside - same deal, double wrapped in plastic. I've bought several tons from the local Quad dealer that sells Greene Gold pellets and never had a problem.

i lost 1 1/2 bags on one pallet so far because of the tree rats

yeh thats what worries me the most is mice, rats, and termites. termites are bad here on my property.

I am planning on building a shed under the overhang behind the garage, and I am very concerned about critters getting in.
Hopefully that will prevent moisture and mice!

Bill

This year I used some of my old empty pallets to set the new pallets on top of, so the pellets are raised up from the ground by the height of 2 pallets, not just the one they came on. Did that to try to keep them up out of any snow we get, since we don't usually pile it up that much where I am. We got about 8 inches of snow a few days ago, first real snow we've had all year and my double pallet height just barely kept the lowest bags out of the snow. Any more snow and I'll possibly have some damp bags, but so far so good.

Eatonpcat said:
dave64 said:
i lost 1 1/2 bags on one pallet so far because of the tree rats

Sounds like it's time to get out the 22 and make some squirrel stew!!

I sometime wish I had a tree rat or 2 since I get a lot of acorn on my back lawn. The lack of tree rats on my property always perplexed me, since my property abuts wooded areas. I would see 1 every once in awhile, but then I would not see another one for quite some time. One day the answer dawned on me as I looked up and saw a hawk perched way up on 1 of the trees on my property. I still get quite a few of those racing stripes mini ground rats though.

Status
Not open for further replies.