Overfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I know it's hard to see in this pic, but is this kind of paint damage (basically falling off) indicative of overfire? I'm assuming it is. My installers got furnace cement all over the back of the stove, so at first I assumed there was some kind of reaction with that that caused the paint to not cure. But after repainting it once I'm kind of leaning towards my having been overfiring the thing on a regular basis. I had been reading griddle temps, which I never let past 700F, which would mean about 100F less on the cast iron, so you wouldn't think that would be an issue. But on occasion with the bypass engaged and a big bed of charcoal, I've had the rear collar get up to 700F as well. Other than this, I don't see anything obviously damaged, but then, I don't know that I would.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 337
First the installers were sloppy. Should only be cement where needed as filling gap in connection etc. The cement will fall off back eventually and looks like some of it took paint with it. Over firing is usually at a greater temp. I do not have your stove but all stoves should be able to go to 700. My stove goes to 800 all the time but it does not stay there and I think thats the key short bursts are not a threat what is is an air leak that keeps you stove at unusually high temps. I assume your 700 is a peak and 1/2 hour later the stove has moved down to a more comfortable temp. I would determine what areas need cement and scrape the rest off next year then repaint.

With regards to the temps, yes, thats correct. But here's the thing now: the paint is doing this elsewhere, not just where they got some cement. So I'm at a loss.

Paint is only "heat resistant" Use stove polish instead.

Oh, choose your brand of stove polish carefully and test it in an obscure spot first. Some polish is more grey than black and they vary in sheen.

Status
Not open for further replies.