Oversize panel radiators - worth the extra $$?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mousebndr

Aug 5, 2011
Australia
Hi All

I remember reading once that oversizing your radiators, say by 15-20% gives you more flexibility on the temperature of the water. Allowing you to drop down to lower temps. I guess the theory is that the more you drop away from the ideal temp of 80degC then the less kw output the radiators achieves so you need a bigger radiator to make up the difference....

Bigger always is better right? :)

Yes, the panel rads are rated for BTU (Kw) output at 80C so if you want the same output at a lower water temp you need more surface area = larger rad.

Panel design takes into account temperature difference and the area of the panel. Greater temperature difference, more heat transfer. Greater area, more heat transfer.

My home floor operates at a very low temperature difference, but has a very high area - the entire livable area of the home.

My childhood school had steam radiators that operated at a very high temperature difference, but had a small emitter area. Both work fine.

One thing to consideris how low of temp you can heat your dhw with if your doing that. I can probably heat my house with 110 degree water, but I need at least 130 degrees for dhw. So I never let my storage drop below 130.

Status
Not open for further replies.